Meet Our Tax Controversy Team: Helping Government Contractors with Tax Controversies
Steps from IRS headquarters and the Tax Court, the Washington, D.C., office of Holland & Knight has experienced tax attorneys who can handle any tax controversy you may face as a government contractor. Ignoring IRS issues can have serious tax and non-tax consequences. New disclosure rules require government contractors to make a certification regarding tax liabilities, and having unpaid tax liabilities could impact your ability to win contracts. Whether it is an employment tax issue or a corporate tax issue, our team can assist with every stage of the controversy regardless of your industry or size.
The team members include:
Together the team brings decades of experience handling a wide variety of tax controversies. Their experience includes:
- obtaining information from the IRS
- responding to inquiries from the IRS
- representing clients during IRS audits and examinations
- assisting with protests before the IRS Office of Appeals
- penalty relief and offers in compromise
- litigating in bankruptcy court, federal district courts, the U.S. Tax Court and the federal courts of appeals
Representative matters include:
- assisted an employer in a multi-year IRS examination alleging payroll and income tax liabilities and penalties in excess of $150 million
- litigated a payroll tax issue on behalf of a staffing organization and won a complete victory against the IRS
- litigated a case regarding whether a business transaction should be characterized as a sale of the business triggering millions of dollars in tax owed
For more information, please contact our team.