Joshua Berengarten is a partner in Holland & Knight's New York office and a member of the firm's Real Estate Section. Mr. Berengarten represents clients in a wide range of complex real estate and transactional matters, including acquisitions and dispositions, development, construction, leasing and financing. He also counsels condominium and cooperative boards on all matters.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of numerous office and industrial properties throughout New York City and Long Island
- Represented an owner in the disposition of its shopping centers throughout the U.S.
- Represented a seller in the sale of its two-thirds interest in a 114,000-square-foot office building in Greenwich Village, Manhattan
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of a building in midtown Manhattan for condominium redevelopment and subsequent sale of the garage, retail and office space
- Represented a foreign corporation in the sale of a historic property in midtown Manhattan involving a settlement with the Landmarks Preservation Commission, New York City Law Department and various tenants
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of a gas station adjacent to the High Line in Manhattan for condominium redevelopment
- Represented an international real estate fund in the acquisition and financing of the Clock Tower Building in Santa Monica, California, and in the development and financing of a multiunit, mixed-use condominium project in downtown Manhattan
- Represented numerous sellers and purchasers in the bulk acquisition and sale of unsold cooperative and condominium units, including an estate in the sale of approximately 300 units in New York City
- Represented a developer in more than $1 billion in loan financing for numerous office and industrial properties throughout New York City and Long Island
- Represented a joint venture in its $469 million loan financing of the Tangram, a 1.2 million-square-foot, mixed-development project in Queens, New York
- Represented a joint venture in its $269 million construction loan financing for a mixed-use condominium project in NoMad, Manhattan
- Represented one of the largest tourism and leisure companies in Europe in financing for a boutique hotel in Manhattan
- Represented a hotel owner in the $75 million financing of its hotel in Dallas
- Represented a major investment bank in the $58 million construction financing of a proposed 17-story, Class A multifamily residential apartment building project in Bethesda, Maryland
- Represented a major investment bank in the $47 million financing of a 234,417-square-foot, Class A office building in North Bethesda, Maryland
- Represented a major life insurance company in the $53 million financing of shopping centers in Stony Brook, New York
- Represented a major investment bank in the $52 million financing of a development in Roselle Park, New Jersey
- Represented owners in the negotiation and drafting of architecture, engineering, design and construction agreements and, in certain cases, settlement of construction-related disputes, including not-for-profit institutions such as the Bard Graduate Center, Spence School, Cooper Union, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, British Memorial Gardens and Battery Conservancy
- Represented commercial landlords and tenants in the negotiation of office, retail, restaurant, supermarket, bank, school, garage, warehouse, medical and professional leases
- Represented an industrial manufacturer in its joint venture and ground lease for a West Virginia cogeneration facility valued at more than $100 million
- Represented a tenant in a 99-year ground lease for a building in midtown Manhattan
- Represented a major airline in its airport and office leases in the U.S.
- Represent approximately 100 condominium and cooperative boards, including The Plaza Condominium and Residences, Greenwich Club Residences, Worldwide Plaza, Two Fifth Avenue, 825 Fifth Avenue, 870 Fifth Avenue, 920 Fifth Avenue, 993 Fifth Avenue, 1133 Fifth Avenue, Lincoln Towers, London Terrace Towers, Carlyle House, The Whitehall, Plaza 400, The Fairmont, Chelsea Mercantile and others in all matters concerning operation of the properties
- Represented General Motors in its pre-bankruptcy analysis of its global real estate holdings
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
- Haverford College, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association, Cooperative & Condominium Law Committee
Honors & Awards
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2021
- New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2017-2021
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2012, 2013