Leonard A. Bernstein is a Philadelphia financial services attorney who focuses on financial regulatory and banking matters. He provides consumer credit compliance advice on federal, Pennsylvania and New Jersey laws and regulations to banks, mortgage bankers and finance companies. He advises clients on credit card, auto finance, deposit, residential mortgage and other retail finance products.
With in-depth knowledge of the federal Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and similar laws, Mr. Bernstein regularly helps clients review documents and disclosures, and otherwise maximize compliance. He handles bank regulatory issues and exams, and works with litigators to defend class actions and individual claims against financial services providers. He has been elected to the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers.
- Temple University, Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.S.
- New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Consumer Finance Committee, Founder
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Banking Law Section, Chair, 1999–2000
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Business Law Section, Chair, 1999
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Chair, 1989
- American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- Governing Committee of the Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- American Bar Association (ABA) Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House, Board Member, 2012-Present
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, Board and Executive Committee Member, 2012-Present
- Friends of the Israeli Defense Forces, Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Advisory Board Member, 2012-Present
- University of Pennsylvania Class of 1980, Community Service Committee, Founder
- University of Pennsylvania Alumni Interviewing, Main Line Committee, Chair
- Support Center for Child Advocates, Board President, 2007–2011
- Philadelphia-Israel Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, 2001-2005
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Banking and Finance Law, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018-2021; Financial Services Regulation Law, 2021
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Pennsylvania Banking & Finance: Mainly Regulatory, 2007, 2012, 2014, 2016-2021
- New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine, Banking, 2005-2018
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers magazine, Banking, 2004-2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Dennis H. Replansky Memorial Award, 2016