Nick Boyd is a litigation attorney who advises corporations, financial services companies and state agencies throughout the country on complex business and civil litigation matters. Mr. Boyd's practice has a particular emphasis on antitrust disputes, class actions and construction lawsuits. He is based in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office.
Mr. Boyd has experience assisting clients in a broad variety of industries, including the energy, information technology, healthcare, construction, manufacturing, agriculture and insurance sectors.
Mr. Boyd's representative engagements include:
- Represented a public electric utility in multiple cases in a multibillion-dollar contract dispute regarding financing for the proposed expansion of an active nuclear power facility and involving questions of the utility's constitutional and statutory authority
- Represented an agricultural producer in nationwide antitrust class action litigation involving allegations of price-fixing and supply restrictions
- Represented an international telecom provider in a dispute with former officers and related internal investigation into the former officers' large-scale fraud scheme, business torts and breaches of fiduciary duties toward their employer
- Forced dismissal of suit against Georgia's largest hospital system that sought to subject the system to asymmetric and anticompetitive disclosure regulation
- Represented a food manufacturing company in a contractual dispute with an equipment manufacturer, obtaining voluntary dismissal of equipment manufacturer's lawsuit
- Obtained a summary judgment and successfully defended appeal for a state department of education against a constitutional challenge to legislation directing approximately $100 million per year to public charter schools
- Obtained reversal for a state department of education on appeal of adverse decision regarding local authority standing to sue
- Successfully appealed a $15 million judgment against an engineering, design and manufacturing company before the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division
- Represented a general contractor in arbitration against project owner resulting in a successful recovery of all money owed under contract
- Represented an Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) class action defendant
- Achieved a favorable settlement for an auto insurer facing a third-party bad faith claim
- Advised a project owner on pre-dispute strategy related to contractor's claims
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Boyd served as a judicial clerk for Judge R. Lanier Anderson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. During law school, Mr. Boyd was an editor and the book reviews chair of the Harvard Law Review.