Claro Manuel Cotes is an associate in Holland & Knight's Bogotá office. Mr. Cotes focuses his litigation practice on administrative, commercial and natural resources law and policy. He has experience in a wide range of litigation matters, including constitutional actions, precautionary measures, state's liability, corporate law, contract law, competition, natural resources and telecommunications law.
Mr. Cotes manages litigation proceedings before commercial and administrative courts and district tribunals. He also advises clients on matters involving the natural resources, energy, oil and gas, mining, corporate social responsibility, project finance and infrastructure industries.
In addition to his litigation and corporate services, Mr. Cotes provides consultation for developments and investigations, and creates strategies to resolve legal disputes and develop projects among the state, communities, extractive industries and other private companies.
- Advising an international financial institution and the leading source of development finance for Latin America and the Caribbean in the implementation of regulatory policy and contractual matrixes for Central America region – Panama and Guyana – for the development of the oil and gas and natural resources industry
- Advising an American multinational oil and gas corporation in the negotiation of exploration and production contracts for the development of hydrocarbons in conventional and unconventional resources with Colombian government
- Advising a leading independent Latin American oil and gas company in the issuance of $350 million 5.500 percent senior notes due 2027, issued under Regulation S and Rule 144A
- Advising a Colombian oil and gas organization in the negotiation of the new offshore exploration and production (E&P) contract model for the development of hydrocarbons in the country
- Advising a Latin American oil and gas exploration, development and production company in its approximately $525 million sale to a Canada-based energy company
- Serving as the leading associate in a transaction involving the merger of automotive industry companies in Colombia
- Serving as the leading associate in a transaction involving the association of a major bank in Colombia and a car financing company in the automotive industry companies in Colombia
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, J.D.
- University of Dundee, LL.M., Natural Resources Law and Policy, Master's distinction
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Specialization, Administrative Law
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), 2013-2014
- University of Dundee Center for Energy Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) AIPN Student Club LLM Liaison, 2013-2014
- Energy Institute, 2013-2014