J. Matthew Donohue
Matt Donohue is an established lead trial counsel with jury and bench trial victories in courtrooms across the country. He is the practice group leader for Holland & Knight's West Coast Litigation Practice Group, which includes attorneys in five offices, and a recent co-leader of the firm's Class Action Litigation and Arbitration Team.
Mr. Donohue represents companies across a variety of industries – including manufacturing, healthcare, technology, real estate and retail goods – in their most complex and high-profile disputes. On the defense side, Mr. Donohue's recent experience includes serving as lead trial counsel for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in the federal and state opioid multidistrict litigation (MDL) in which plaintiffs alleged pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors are responsible for the opioid crisis. In that role, the federal MDL court appointed Mr. Donohue to serve on the seven-member steering and negotiating committees for the manufacturer defendants. On the plaintiff side, Mr. Donohue has significant experience representing companies and governmental entities in claims against vendors, business partners and competitors, and lawsuits arising from failed business deals.
In addition to litigating class actions, contract disputes and unfair competition claims, Mr. Donohue has particular skill resolving high-stakes business and class action disputes prior to litigation being filed.
- Representing a state in $1 billion breach of contract, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and related claims in Oregon state and federal court arising from failed implementation of healthcare software
- Co-lead trial counsel defending a national energy efficiency services company in $450 million misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract claims in Illinois federal court
- Lead trial counsel obtaining a seven-figure jury verdict on claims for breach of an oral distribution contract, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, and intentional interference with economic relations in Oregon federal court on behalf of a Canadian distribution company
- Co-lead trial counsel obtaining a judgment dismissing fraud and breach of contract counterclaims for $65 million in a two-week trial in Nevada state court on behalf of multi-national athletic apparel company
- Lead trial counsel defending multi-national dental equipment manufacturer and family shareholders in preliminary injunction and related litigation filed by shareholder seeking control of company
- Lead trial counsel representing a company in $30 million breach of contract and fraud claims arising from failed acquisition in Delaware federal court
- Lead trial counsel representing an Israeli company against breach of contract and fraud claims asserting $18 million in damages and prosecuting breach of contract counterclaims for $5 million in damages in arbitration in New York
- Lead trial counsel representing a client against fraud and negligence claims asserting $14 million in damages in Florida federal court
- Lead trial counsel representing a technology client against claims for breach of a patent licensing agreement in an expedited arbitration in Washington
- Co-lead trial counsel representing a Nevada oilfield services provider in prosecuting minority shareholder oppression claims seeking $25 million in damages in both Oregon state and federal court, Nevada state court and in an international arbitration
Class Action/Mass Action Litigation
- Lead trial counsel representing a drug manufacturer client in the MDL captioned In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation against claims alleging the fraudulent promotion of opioids, among other things, in Ohio federal court
- Lead trial counsel defending an insurer in numerous state courts and state MDLs alleging the fraudulent promotion of opioids, among other things
- Lead trial counsel defeating class action claims against a company for alleged deceptive practices and unjust enrichment related to insurance subrogation claims in Washington state and federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel defending class action claims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment related to personal injury protection payments to medical providers, among other things, in Washington state court
- Lead trial counsel obtaining summary judgment dismissal of class action claims for breach of contract, among other things, related to statutory insurance disclosures in Nevada federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel obtaining orders striking plaintiff's expert and granting summary judgment dismissal of class action claims for breach of contract related to payment of "diminished value" damages in Washington federal court
After law school, Mr. Donohue served as a judicial law clerk to the late Honorable Neal P. McCurn in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York and as a judicial law clerk to the New York State Court of Appeals.
- City University of New York, J.D.
- University of Oklahoma, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Multnomah Bar Foundation, Immediate Past President, 2019; President, 2018; Vice Chair, 2017; Member, 2015-2018
- Oregon State Bar, Chair, Antitrust Section Executive Committee, 2017
- Federal Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
- Leadership Portland, Class of 2010
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Litigation: General Commercial, 2019, 2020
- Top 50, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2015-2020
- Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 2015-2021