Matt Donohue is an established lead trial counsel with jury and bench trial victories in courtrooms across the country. He is the practice group leader for the firm's West Coast Litigation Group, which includes more than 45 attorneys in 5 offices, and also co-leads the firm's Class Action Litigation and Arbitration Team.
In the multidistrict litigation captioned In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, Mr. Donohue represents a pharmaceutical manufacturer and serves on the seven-member steering committee and negotiating committee for the manufacturer defendants. He also is national counsel and lead trial counsel in numerous state court cases pending throughout the U.S. alleging that pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors are responsible for the opioid crisis.
In addition to litigating class actions, mass actions, contract disputes and unfair competition claims, Mr. Donohue has particular skill resolving high-stakes business disputes prior to litigation being filed.
His recent engagements include:
- Representing a state in $1 billion breach of contract, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and related claims in Oregon state and federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel defending a company in $150 million misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract claims in Illinois federal court
- Lead trial counsel obtaining a seven-figure jury verdict on claims for breach of an oral distribution contract, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, and intentional interference with economic relations in Oregon federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel obtaining a judgment dismissing counterclaims for $65 million in a two-week trial in Nevada state court
- Lead trial counsel representing a company in $30 million breach of contract and fraud claims arising from failed acquisition in Delaware federal court
- Lead trial counsel representing a client against breach of contract and fraud claims asserting $18 million in damages and prosecuting breach of contract counterclaims for $5 million in damages in arbitration in New York
- Lead trial counsel representing a client against fraud and negligence claims asserting $14 million in damages in Florida federal court
- Lead trial counsel representing a client against claims for breach of a patent licensing agreement in an expedited arbitration in Washington
- Co-lead trial counsel representing a client in prosecuting minority shareholder oppression claims seeking $25 million in damages in both Oregon state and federal court, Nevada state court and in an international arbitration
Class Action/Mass Action Litigation
- Lead trial counsel representing client in the MDL captioned In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation against claims alleging the fraudulent promotion of opioids, among other things, in Ohio federal court
- Lead trial counsel defending a client in numerous state courts and state MDLs alleging the fraudulent promotion of opioids, among other things
- Lead trial counsel defeating class action claims against a company for alleged deceptive practices and unjust enrichment related to insurance subrogation claims in Washington state and federal court
- Lead trial counsel obtaining order on motion for terminating sanctions dismissing class action claims for breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty and consumer fraud arising from benefits provided under an auto insurer's medical payments coverage in Arizona federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel defending class action claims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment related to personal injury protection payments to medical providers, among other things, in Washington state court
- Lead trial counsel obtaining summary judgment dismissal of class action claims for breach of contract, among other things, related to statutory insurance disclosures in Nevada federal court
- Co-lead trial counsel obtaining orders striking plaintiff's expert and granting summary judgment dismissal of class action claims for breach of contract related to payment of "diminished value" damages in Washington federal court
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Donohue was a shareholder for a West Coast business litigation law firm.
After law school, Mr. Donohue served as a judicial law clerk to the late Honorable Neal P. McCurn in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York and as a judicial law clerk to the New York State Court of Appeals.