Israel J. Encinosa is a Miami litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's South Florida Litigation Practice Group. Mr. Encinosa's practice focuses primarily on complex civil litigation matters, with a particular emphasis on international, cross-border and investor disputes.
Mr. Encinosa has substantial experience in federal and state courts as well as in arbitration. He has served as lead counsel in multiple trials and arbitration hearings, including multiple jury trials in federal and state courts.
Mr. Encinosa also has significant experience with internal corporate investigations and antitrust law, including litigation, government investigations and merger review before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Obtained confirmed arbitral award in excess of $20 million on behalf of one of the world's top manufacturers of electronics and cellular phones following a week-long final arbitration hearing against one of its major distributors
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line against claims brought by former chief executive following week-long jury trial in state court complex business litigation division regarding breach of contract and defamation claims
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict for a corporate finance advisory firm following a one-week federal jury trial in a lawsuit against one of the largest banking institutions in Guatemala premised on claims for breach of written and oral contracts; discovered and proved discovery misconduct that resulted in the additional award of monetary sanctions
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar judgment for one of the largest private hospitals in Venezuela and its U.S. affiliate in connection with a multi-defendant conspiracy to misappropriate funds through multiple fraudulent schemes
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict following a two-week Florida state jury trial in a lawsuit against a broker-dealer premised on claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line in a penalty wage class-action lawsuit following a weeklong federal bench trial in connection with certain plaintiff parties, and further obtained a favorable settlement in connection with various other plaintiff parties
- Successfully defended a major financial institution following a one-week arbitration hearing against claims by a client alleging breach of fiduciary duty and other securities claims
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a client in a lawsuit involving a dispute over ownership of a major money remittance company in Latin America, including claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Prevail In Venezuela Bribery Suit Brought By Trust," March 11, 2019
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Recommends Tossing Venezuela Bribery Suit," November 6, 2018
- Daily Business Review, "Russian Venture Capitalist Linked to Qiwi Payment Services Provider Claims $16M Fraud on Pembroke Park Project," October 29, 2018
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Want Venezuelan Bribery Suit Dismissed," July 6, 2018
- Law360, "Venezuela's Oil Co. Slips Contempt, Attys Dinged In Bribe Suit," June 5, 2018
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Quashes Subpoenas In Venezuela Oil Bribery Suit," April 16, 2018
- Law360, "11th Circ. Affirms $3M Verdict Against Guatemalan Bank," December 19, 2017
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Affirms $20M Arbitration Award In Samsung Row," July 20, 2017
- Law360, "Jury Dinged Bank $3M On Solid Evidence, 11th Circ. Told," June 2, 2017
- Law360, "Venezuelan Hospital Awarded $21M In Bribery Scheme," October 25, 2016
- Law360, "Bank Must Pay Financier $3.25M In Contract Suit, Jury Finds," April 12, 2016
- Law360, "Miami Builds International Arbitration Chops With New Court," February 16, 2016