Israel J. Encinosa
Israel J. Encinosa is a trial and litigation attorney based in Holland & Knight's Miami office who focuses on complex civil litigation and arbitration matters, with substantial experience handling domestic and international/cross-border disputes, including class actions. Mr. Encinosa also has extensive experience representing clients in connection with representation and warranties (R&W) insurance policy claims. Additionally, Mr. Encinosa has substantial antitrust experience, having litigated antitrust matters in federal and state court, represented clients in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and state attorneys general antitrust investigations, and having represented and advised clients before the DOJ and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on merger clearance matters, including second requests.
Mr. Encinosa has served as lead counsel in multiple trials and arbitration hearings, including several jury trials in federal and state courts.
Representative Litigation and Arbitration Engagements
- Obtained $160 million verdict, including $127 million in punitive damage, for large international cruise line following four-week jury trial in Florida state court (complex division) for fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation claims against manufacturer and servicer of cruise ship propulsion systems
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line against claims brought by former chief executive seeking in excess of $90 million following week-long jury trial in the state court complex business litigation division regarding breach of contract and defamation claims
- Obtained dismissal of claims for damages in excess of $10 billion brought by a trust claiming to represent the interests of Venezuela's state-owned oil company Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA), alleging a global bribery and bid-rigging scheme
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line in a class action lawsuit by obtaining an order dismissing the case and compelling arbitration on an individual (non-class) basis.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict for a corporate finance advisory firm following a one-week federal jury trial in a lawsuit against one of the largest banking institutions in Guatemala premised on claims for breach of written and oral contracts; discovered and proved discovery misconduct that resulted in the additional award of monetary sanctions
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar judgment for one of the largest private hospitals in Venezuela and its U.S. affiliate in connection with a multi-defendant conspiracy to misappropriate funds through multiple fraudulent schemes
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict following a two-week Florida state jury trial in a lawsuit against a broker-dealer premised on claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Obtained confirmed multimillion arbitral award on behalf of one of the world's top manufacturers of electronics and cellular phones following a weeklong final arbitration hearing against one of its major distributors
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line in a penalty wage class-action lawsuit following a week-long federal bench trial in connection with certain plaintiff parties, and further obtained a favorable settlement in connection with various other plaintiff parties
- Successfully defended a major financial institution following a one-week arbitration hearing against claims by a client alleging breach of fiduciary duty and other securities claims
- Daily Business Review, "Holland & Knight's Cruise Client Wins $159M Jury Verdict in Miami Court," October 26, 2022
- Lloyd's List, "ABB ordered to pay $159m over misrepresentation of Azipods' safety," October 24, 2022
- Law360, "Fla. Jury Awards NCL $159M For Faulty Propulsion Systems," October 20, 2022
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Prevail In Venezuela Bribery Suit Brought By Trust," March 11, 2019
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Recommends Tossing Venezuela Bribery Suit," November 6, 2018
- Daily Business Review, "Russian Venture Capitalist Linked to Qiwi Payment Services Provider Claims $16M Fraud on Pembroke Park Project," October 29, 2018
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Want Venezuelan Bribery Suit Dismissed," July 6, 2018
- Law360, "Venezuela's Oil Co. Slips Contempt, Attys Dinged in Bribe Suit," June 5, 2018
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Quashes Subpoenas In Venezuela Oil Bribery Suit," April 16, 2018
- Law360, "11th Circ. Affirms $3M Verdict Against Guatemalan Bank," December 19, 2017
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Affirms $20M Arbitration Award In Samsung Row," July 20, 2017
- Law360, "Jury Dinged Bank $3M On Solid Evidence, 11th Circ. Told," June 2, 2017
- Law360, "Venezuelan Hospital Awarded $21M In Bribery Scheme," October 25, 2016
- Law360, "Bank Must Pay Financier $3.25M In Contract Suit, Jury Finds," April 12, 2016
- Law360, "Miami Builds International Arbitration Chops With New Court," February 16, 2016
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- Boston College, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Daily Business Review Professional Excellence Award, Holland & Knight - Litigation Departments - International Large Honoree, 2017
- The Florida Bar's Wm. Reece Smith Jr. Leadership Academy, Fellow