Israel J. Encinosa is a trial and litigation attorney based in Holland & Knight's Miami office who focuses on complex civil litigation and arbitration matters, with substantial experience handling domestic and international/cross-border disputes, including class actions. Mr. Encinosa also has extensive experience representing clients in connection with representation and warranties (R&W) insurance policy claims.
Mr. Encinosa has served as lead counsel in multiple trials and arbitration hearings, including several jury trials in federal and state courts.
Representative Litigation and Arbitration Engagements
- Obtained confirmed arbitral award in excess of $20 million on behalf of one of the world's top manufacturers of electronics and cellular phones following a week-long final arbitration hearing against one of its major distributors
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line against claims brought by former chief executive seeking in excess of $90 million following week-long jury trial in the state court complex business litigation division regarding breach of contract and defamation claims
- Obtained dismissal of claims for damages in excess of $10 billion brought by a trust claiming to represent the interests of Venezuela's state-owned oil company Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA), alleging a global bribery and bid-rigging scheme
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line in a class action lawsuit by obtaining an order dismissing the case and compelling arbitration on an individual (non-class) basis.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict for a corporate finance advisory firm following a one-week federal jury trial in a lawsuit against one of the largest banking institutions in Guatemala premised on claims for breach of written and oral contracts; discovered and proved discovery misconduct that resulted in the additional award of monetary sanctions
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar judgment for one of the largest private hospitals in Venezuela and its U.S. affiliate in connection with a multi-defendant conspiracy to misappropriate funds through multiple fraudulent schemes
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict following a two-week Florida state jury trial in a lawsuit against a broker-dealer premised on claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Successfully defended a large international cruise line in a penalty wage class-action lawsuit following a week-long federal bench trial in connection with certain plaintiff parties, and further obtained a favorable settlement in connection with various other plaintiff parties
- Successfully defended a major financial institution following a one-week arbitration hearing against claims by a client alleging breach of fiduciary duty and other securities claims
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Prevail In Venezuela Bribery Suit Brought By Trust," March 11, 2019
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Recommends Tossing Venezuela Bribery Suit," November 6, 2018
- Daily Business Review, "Russian Venture Capitalist Linked to Qiwi Payment Services Provider Claims $16M Fraud on Pembroke Park Project," October 29, 2018
- Law360, "Oil Cos. Want Venezuelan Bribery Suit Dismissed," July 6, 2018
- Law360, "Venezuela's Oil Co. Slips Contempt, Attys Dinged In Bribe Suit," June 5, 2018
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Quashes Subpoenas In Venezuela Oil Bribery Suit," April 16, 2018
- Law360, "11th Circ. Affirms $3M Verdict Against Guatemalan Bank," December 19, 2017
- Law360, "Fla. Judge Affirms $20M Arbitration Award In Samsung Row," July 20, 2017
- Law360, "Jury Dinged Bank $3M On Solid Evidence, 11th Circ. Told," June 2, 2017
- Law360, "Venezuelan Hospital Awarded $21M In Bribery Scheme," October 25, 2016
- Law360, "Bank Must Pay Financier $3.25M In Contract Suit, Jury Finds," April 12, 2016
- Law360, "Miami Builds International Arbitration Chops With New Court," February 16, 2016
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- Boston College, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Daily Business Review Professional Excellence Award, Holland & Knight - Litigation Departments - International Large Honoree, 2017
- The Florida Bar's Wm. Reece Smith Jr. Leadership Academy, Fellow