Leizl Hinajon is an attorney based in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office and is a member of the firm's West Coast Real Estate Practice Group.
Ms. Hinajon's practice focuses on the creation of mixed-used developments in the hospitality industry, specifically as it relates to integrating residential components and protecting hotel brand intellectual property in complex mixed-use legal structures for luxury resort and hotel projects throughout the United States and in foreign jurisdictions. She also helps her hospitality clients manage ongoing operations, including handling food and beverage agreements and other third-party vendor agreements.
Ms. Hinajon also has experience in a variety of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, office and retail leasing, and financing. She has represented owners, developers, hotels (owners, managers and franchised brands), landlords, tenants, technology companies, real estate investment trusts and institutional clients. She also advises real estate and corporate clients with respect to issues arising in connection with restructuring, bankruptcy and receiverships.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Hinajon worked for a boutique real estate law firm and several public agencies, which gives her a holistic view of real estate development from inception to stabilization from both the private and public sector perspective. This experience has been invaluable when drafting governance documents for condominium homeowner's associations, advising on California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) disputes as they relate to urban developments and restoration projects, analyzing Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessment in acquisitions and dispositions, and navigating local government approval processes, with an emphasis on water law and local ordinances.
In addition, Ms. Hinajon has a robust entertainment practice, which includes preparing agreements for television, film and similar media projects. Her experience protecting luxury hospitality brands gives her a thorough understanding of her entertainment client's interests in structuring ownership of intellectual property, copyrights and trademarks. She has advised filmmakers, production companies and well-known retail brands.
- Represented hotel operators and management companies negotiating and drafting temporary occupancy agreements with government entities and universities to address the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- Represented a luxury hotel company in an urban mixed-use vertical subdivision within a single building comprised of office, retail and branded luxury residential condominiums; assisted in the preparation of branded residential licensing agreement and residential management agreement, master reciprocal easement agreement, residential condominium project documents and residential sale and disclosure documents
- Represented a luxury hotel company in the development of a mixed-use project with a hotel and separate condominium subdivisions in a foreign jurisdiction; assisted in the preparation of a shared facilities structure for the master resort covering the hotel facilities and multiple subdivisions, including complicated cost-sharing arrangements, residential condominium project governing documents and residential sales documents for registration in the United States; assisted in the preparation and implementation of hotel owner rental program
- Represented a hotel company in the development of a resort mixed-used development, comprised of a luxury hotel and branded villas with a rental program in a foreign jurisdiction; assisted in the preparation hotel management agreement, sales and marketing license agreement and rental program agreement
- Represented a publicly-traded Singaporean company in the $4.3 million disposition of a flagship office building in downtown Los Angeles
- Assisted Digital Realty Trust Inc. in the real estate component (1.3 million square feet of data center space in 20 facilities throughout the United States) of its $1.89 billion acquisition of Telx Group Inc.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 technology company with a $1 billion real estate acquisition in Silicon Valley, California
- Served as outside counsel to Kartemquin Films, a leading producer of documentary films in connection with ongoing film development production and distribution of feature film projects
- Served as production counsel for a reality television dating series; prepared and negotiated participant agreements, host agreements, terms and conditions, as well as rules of engagement
- Assisted in the representation of an indenture trustee for $100 million in California pollution control bonds in which the trustee also serves as a member of the Unsecured Creditors Committee for the Pacific Gas and Electric Co. (PG&E) case pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Assisted in the representation of a leading Chinese aircraft financing state-owned enterprise (SOE) and its Irish affiliate in an adversary proceeding filed by the trustee that is pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D.
- Azusa Pacific University, B.A., Political Science
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Network, San Francisco Chapter, Foundation Champion Vice Chair, 2018-present
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- ELEVATE Inspirator Award Nominee, Bay Area CREW Chapters and The Registry, 2020
- Hagman Scholar, UCLA Extension 31st Land Use Law and Planning Conference, 2017
- Foundation Scholar, Philippine American Bar Association (PABA) of Los Angeles, 2016
- Oxford Programme for Undergraduate Studies (OPUS) Scholar, Oxford University, 2012