Robert Jain is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Austin office and focuses on intellectual property (IP) and complex commercial disputes. Mr. Jain assists clients with a wide range of technology-related matters, including defense and enforcement of IP rights, data security and compliance, open source software licensing and IP portfolio management. As a registered patent attorney, Mr. Jain also represents clients in patent challenges and other administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Mr. Jain represents a diverse range of small and medium-sized businesses to large, multinational corporations in state and federal court. He advises clients in matters spanning various technologies, including:
- content delivery, such as content delivery networks (CDNs), load balancing, adaptive bitrate streaming, encoding/compression and content recommendation
- cloud computing, such as distributed networks, cloud infrastructure and design, virtualization, containers, performance monitoring and data centers
- digital transactions, such as online payment processing, payment card industry data security standard (PCI-DSS) security and compliance, encryption, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and blockchain
- communications, such as networking, network adapters and network interface cards (NICs), voice over internet, virtual assistants, speech/voice recognition, interactive voice response (IVR) and call center systems
- hardware design, such as memory systems, system on a chip (SoCs), and application-specific integrated circuits
- firearms, such as AR-model trigger systems, pull-release fire mechanisms, disconnector assemblies and safety design
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Jain worked as a patent litigation attorney at a Bay Area law firm assisting in a diverse range of technology-related matters. Mr. Jain also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Paul S. Grewal of the District Court for the Northern District of California.
Not yet admitted to Texas Bar; admitted to California Bar only and practicing under supervision of lawyers licensed to practice in Texas.
- Defended a technology company in a complex trade secret and patent litigation dispute; obtained a favorable settlement and dismissal of all claims.
- Successfully defended a client's patent in ex parte reexamination before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and obtained certificate of reissue for all challenged claims
- Represented technology company in litigation resulting from data breach that exposed payment card and other personally identifiable information (PII) of customers of a major commercial airline carrier
- Represented a firearms manufacturer in patent and trademark litigation against competitors; obtained a favorable settlement and preliminary injunctive relief against all defendants
- Defended startups and midsize companies against highly assertive entities in various patent monetization campaigns; successfully deterred asserting entity from pursuing litigation without payment of license fees
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institutions in patent infringement matters involving a highly assertive entity
- Conducted a patent portfolio investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company and provided recommendations regarding portfolio management and competitive technology analysis
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., with honors
- James Madison University, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- All State Courts in California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office