Alvin Johnson is a corporate and private equity lawyer in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office. Mr. Johnson focuses his practice on representing U.S.-based private equity firms and U.S.-based global corporations in connection with mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and general corporate matters. He represents private equity firms and the world's leading companies in a wide variety of domestic and cross-border transactions, corporate restructurings and other matters relating to general corporate and securities laws.
Mr. Johnson has represented corporations, private equity firms and sellers to structure, negotiate and close transactions across a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, financial services, consumer products, food and beverage, franchising, healthcare and technology.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Johnson was an attorney for a global law firm in its Atlanta office. In addition, Mr. Johnson previously worked as a sales representative for a pharmaceutical and biotechnology corporation, and owned and operated a tax service franchise in Orlando, Florida.
- Represented a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) in a de-SPACing process in connection with its initial business combination with a renewable energy technology company focused on unlocking the power of sunlight to replace fossil fuels; the deal closed for $1.85 billion
- Represented a Delaware corporation, the national health solutions partner and leading provider of maternal-fetal, newborn and pediatric subspecialty care, in the $885 million sale of its radiology division to a leading physician-led and physician-owned radiology practice
- Represented a Florida-based medical group in its $614 million business combination, along with another Florida-based medical group, with a SPAC to create a technology-enabled healthcare platform providing value-based care and chronic disease management to seniors
- Represented a SPAC in a de-SPACing process in connection with its initial business combination in which the SPAC acquired, via a set of mergers, a company engaged in the business of operating an e-commerce platform for the automotive parts and accessories retail market
- Represented a private target, leading financial technology platform that services the everyday consumer, in its $800 million business combination with a SPAC
- Represented a Georgia corporation in its $400 million sale to a Delaware publicly traded company
- Served as global counsel to a publicly traded education technology company, based in Santa Clara, California, that provides digital and physical textbook rentals, textbook solutions, online tutoring and other student services
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in its $120.7 million acquisition of all of the outstanding equity interests of a nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverage business in Zambia, Africa
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in its $25 million acquisition of nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverage brands in Zambia
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in its $142 million acquisition of the equity interests in a nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverage business in Zambia
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in its $83.9 million acquisition of the equity interests in a nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverage business in Botswana, Africa
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in its acquisition of the equity interests in a nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverage business in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), Africa
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in the $15 million sale of its equity interest in a Chinese joint venture and assets located throughout the world to a publicly traded American international corporation whose principal business is selling gases and chemicals for industrial uses
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a publisher and seller of supplementary educational products
- Represented a private corporation, a pioneer of comparative data analytics technology, in its sale to a leading provider of healthcare technology and analytics solutions
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its $162.6 million recapitalization of a portfolio company, the largest franchisee of health clubs
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its $31 million acquisition of a majority stake in a leader in enterprise service innovation, and resale of the ServiceNow technology platform
- Represented a sponsor in its $36.25 million acquisition of a chain of sports bars based in Atlanta
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its $130 million public-to-private leveraged buyout (LBO) acquisition of one of the largest franchisees (with 64 sports bars across five states) of an American casual dining restaurant and sports bar franchise in the United States, Canada, India, Mexico, Oman, Panama, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its $26.5 million growth recapitalization and acquisition of a new platform of retail hydroponic equipment and indoor gardening supplies servicing the specialty agriculture industry
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its $16 million acquisition of a majority stake in a provider of hydro-excavation, pipe inspection, trap pumping and other environmental services
- Represented an Atlanta-based provider of mobile device digital forensic services used by law enforcement and government agencies in its $47 million growth funding
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its sale of a portfolio company, a provider of precision engineered components to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in the aerospace, defense, medical and energy industries, in three separate carve-out transactions ($44 million, $1.9 million and $2.7 million, respectively)
- Represented a U.S.-based portfolio management company that provides industrial products and engineered materials solutions, in the $215 million cross-border sale of its Finland-based carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) business to a global provider of specialty chemicals
- Emory University School of Law, J.D.
- Florida A&M University, MBA, Marketing
- Florida A&M University, B.A.
- Black Law Students Association, Emory University School of Law, President, 2012; Vice President, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Ones to Watch, Atlanta, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2024
- Best Oralist, Moot Court Society, Emory University School of Law, 2010
- Best Team Oralist, Saul Lefkowitz Trademark Moot Court Competition, Spring 2011
- Dean's Award in Advanced Civil Trial Practice, Emory University School of Law, Fall 2011