Paul Kilmer is a Washington, D.C., attorney who is recognized as a leader in domestic and international trademark and copyright matters. According to World Trademark Review (WTR), clients have remarked that he is "very practical as a legal adviser" and has "successfully resolved many hundreds of trademark infringement matters worldwide," while being "careful with expenses and mindful of clients' cost concerns." As a result, Mr. Kilmer has been ranked by clients and his peers as among the top 300 trademark attorneys in the world by WTR.
Mr. Kilmer's distinguished career has included deposing Elizabeth Taylor regarding her "Passion" perfume brand, appearing with local counsel in trademark infringement cases in India, the Philippines and Paraguay, and obtaining copyright registration for Martha Graham's iconic choreographic work "Appalachian Spring."
In addition to his regular practice, Mr. Kilmer has delivered presentations to professional groups on copyright and trademark topics in the United States and abroad, including in Thailand, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Belgium, Turkey and Canada.
Mr. Kilmer has significant international trademark policy experience, including serving as a delegate of the International Trademark Association (INTA) on a U.S. Department of State intellectual property rights mission to Paraguay, and as a special representative for the U.S. Department of State in intellectual property rights missions to Serbia and Turkey. In addition, every year since 2014, Mr. Kilmer has provided the Office of U.S. Trade Representative with a report regarding those nations that deny adequate and effective protection to trademark rights (the Special 301 process). In 2020, he consulted with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) regarding the implementation of the trademark provisions of the U.S.-China Phase 1 trade agreement. Because of his vast international trademark knowledge, Mr. Kilmer was called upon by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative to author the draft Trademark and Copyright Informational Sections for the Free Trade Area of the Americas Initiative.
Mr. Kilmer also provides pro bono services to a number of organizations, including the Metropolitan Opera, New York City Ballet and Martha Graham Center for Contemporary Dance and American Rivers.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- University of Northern Iowa, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- All Courts in the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- International Trademark Association, Emerging Issues Committee, Chair, 2020-2021; Vice-Chair, 2018-2019
- Trademark Working Group, Founder and Chair, 2013-present
- International Trademark Association, North America Global Advisory Council, 2018-2021
- International Trademark Association, President’s Task Force on Brand Restrictions, 2017
- International Trademark Association, Health Policy and IP Rights Subcommittee (Emerging Issues Committee), Chair, 2016-2018
- International Trademark Association, Emerging Issues Committee, "Plain Packaging" Team Leader, 2014-2015
- International Trademark Association, Free Trade Areas Subcommittee, Chair, 2006-2011
- International Trademark Association, Bulletin Committee, 2012-2013
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Co-Chair, Federal Trademark Legislation Committee, September 2006-August 2008
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Intellectual Property Law Section Steering Council, 1995
- American Rivers, Pro Bono Services and Technology Advisory Board, Former Member
- The Metropolitan Opera, Pro Bono Services
- New York City Ballet, Pro Bono Services
- The Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance, Pro Bono Services
- Textile Museum, Washington, D.C., Advisory Board, former Member
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets, 2021
- World Trademark Review, Global Leaders, 2019-2021
- Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets, 2016-2020
- World Trademark Review 1000, 2011-2018, 2020-2022
- World Trademark Review 1000 — Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy (DC Metro Area and National), 2020-2022 - gold ranking (DC Metro); Silver ranking (National)
- WIPR Leaders Club, 2016
- Martha Graham Dance Company Legacy Honoree, 2016
- Intellectual Property Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2016
- Who's Who Legal, Trademarks, 2005-2022
- Advancement of Trademark Law Award, International Trademark Association (INTA), 2011