Karl J. Lott is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Los Angeles office and a member of firm's Real Estate Group. Mr. Lott has 30 years of experience as a commercial real estate attorney, and his practice focuses on all aspects of commercial real estate transactions.
Mr. Lott regularly advises clients in matters of real estate finance, representing lenders, borrowers and joint ventures, as well as representing lending entities established to participate in the EB‑5 immigration program. He regularly assists clients in forming joint ventures and in the management of limited liability companies. In addition, he handles all types of leasing matters, including office leases, retail leases and industrial leases, representing owners of office buildings and shopping centers in various locations in California in all matters relating to the leasing of their properties, and also representing major national and international tenants in their leasing negotiations. Mr. Lott also has extensive experience in acquisitions and dispositions of office buildings, shopping centers, industrial properties and other commercial real estate. He also serves as co-editor of Holland & Knight's Retail and Commercial Development and Leasing Blog.
In addition to his real estate work, Mr. Lott serves as the chair of the Los Angeles office Diversity Committee, and sits on the firm's Diversity Council.
Mr. Lott is also active in the nonprofit housing community, and serves as the chair of the West Hollywood Community Housing Corporation, a nonprofit organization that builds and operates affordable housing throughout Los Angeles County and provides ongoing services to its residents to help them transition back into secure housing and the community.
Mr. Lott also serves on the Los Angeles Advisory Board of Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Mr. Lott is an experienced leasing attorney, representing landlords and tenants. Some recent leasing engagements include:
- representing the landlord of an office building in San Francisco in a lease of 10 floors of the building to a technology company
- representing a client on a major restaurant lease in Beverly Hills
- assisting a property owner in restructuring the leases on an industrial property to position the property for sale
- conducting all leasing matters on a number of office buildings and shopping centers in various locations in California
- representing landlords in connection with the negotiation and preparation of commercial leases, property management agreements and other documents in connection with the ownership or operation of commercial property
- representing tenants in connection with the negotiation of commercial leases
Mr. Lott has many years of experience advising a company that organizes and administers construction loans (primarily loans relating to the construction or renovation of hotels) in connection with the EB-5 immigration program, including a project in Los Angeles, three projects in Dallas, and one project in New Orleans
- In addition to EB-5 lending, Mr. Lott has extensive experience representing lenders and borrowers in connection with financing secured by real property, including in connection with loan workouts, recovery of collateral, and new loans, coordination of foreclosures and appointments of receivers, and negotiation and preparation of deeds of trust, promissory notes, settlement agreements, loan agreements, guarantees and related documents in connection with restructuring various loans secured by real property. Some representative engagements include:
- representing a developer in obtaining mezzanine financing, including negotiation of an intercreditor agreement
- representing the lender in connection with a construction loan for the development of a residential community
- negotiation of a loan sale agreement involving a construction loan
- negotiation of a construction loan on behalf of a hotel developer
Mr. Lott regularly represents clients in the formation of joint ventures and other entities, including the negotiation of the entity documents. Recent engagements include:
- assisting a client to negotiate a joint venture agreement involving the conversion of a retail center into a multistory, mixed-use residential/retail building
- formation of a series of joint ventures between a developer and financing entity for purposes of acquiring and developing office buildings and multitenant apartment buildings throughout Southern California
- assisting with the negotiation of a joint venture between a developer and a Chinese entity to acquire property and develop a luxury hotel
- negotiation of a limited liability company for the purpose of constructing a residential manufactured home development
- assisting with negotiations of a limited liability company for the purpose of developing affordable housing
- assisting with forming and structuring new entities in connection with real property ownership or acquisitions
Mr. Lott regularly represents buyers and sellers in acquisitions and dispositions of office buildings, retail centers, hotels, industrial properties and other commercial properties. Recent work in this area includes:
- representing a family trust with the disposition of a portfolio of industrial buildings throughout the western United States
- assisting a client with the purchase and leaseback of an industrial property
- working with a client in connection of numerous properties throughout California to be used for various commercial purposes
- assisting an affordable housing developer with the acquisition of properties throughout California
- UCLA School of Law, J.D.
- Columbia University, M.A., International Affairs
- College of William & Mary, B.A., Political Science and Economics
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), Diversity in the Profession Committee, Member
- Legal Education Access Pipeline (LEAP), Volunteer
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Los Angeles Business Journal's Most Influential Minority Attorneys, 2019
- Top Author, Real Estate Industry, JD Supra Readers' Choice Awards, 2018
- Los Angeles Business Journal's Nonprofit & Corporate Citizenship Award Nominee