Karl J. Lott is a Los Angeles attorney and a member of Holland & Knight's Real Estate Group. Mr. Lott has 28 years of experience as a commercial real estate attorney, and his practice focuses on all aspects of commercial real estate transactions.
Mr. Lott is well-versed in real estate finance, representing lenders, borrowers and joint ventures, as well as representing lending entities established to participate in the EB-5 immigration program. In addition, he handles acquisitions and dispositions, and leasing, including office leases, retail leases and industrial leases.
Mr. Lott's recent engagements include:
- representing the landlord of an office building in San Francisco in a lease of 10 floors of the building to a technology company
- representing a client on a major restaurant lease in Beverly Hills
- assisting a property owner in restructuring the leases on an industrial property to position the property for sale
- conducting all leasing matters on a number of office buildings and shopping centers in various locations in California
- advising a company that organizes and administers construction loans (primarily loans relating to the construction or renovation of hotels) in connection with the EB-5 immigration program, including a project in Los Angeles, three projects in Dallas, and one project in New Orleans
- assisting a client to negotiate a joint venture agreement involving the conversion of a retail center into a multistory, mixed-use residential/retail building
- representing buyers and sellers in acquisitions and dispositions of office buildings, retail centers, hotels, industrial properties and other commercial properties
- representing landlords in connection with the negotiation and preparation of commercial leases, property management agreements and other documents in connection with the ownership or operation of commercial property
- representing tenants in connection with the negotiation of commercial leases
- representing lenders and borrowers in connection with financing secured by real property, including in connection with loan workouts, recovery of collateral, and new loans, coordination of foreclosures and appointments of receivers, and negotiation and preparation of deeds of trust, promissory notes, settlement agreements, loan agreements, guarantees and related documents in connection with restructuring various loans secured by real property
- assisting with forming and structuring new entities in connection with real property ownership or acquisitions
- negotiating and preparing of architect's and construction contracts, and advice regarding mechanics' liens and other construction matters
- advising property owners, tenants or purchasers relating to environmental matters, including remediation of releases of hazardous materials, asbestos management, and management and spill protection for underground storage tanks
In addition to his real estate work, Mr. Lott serves as the chair of the Los Angeles office Diversity Committee, and sits on the firm's Diversity Council.
Mr. Lott is also active in the nonprofit housing community, and serves as the chair of the West Hollywood Community Housing Corporation, a nonprofit organization that builds and operates affordable housing throughout Los Angeles County and provides ongoing services to its residents to help them transition back into secure housing and the community.