Jennifer A. Mansfield is a partner in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office. She practices in the area of commercial litigation, with extensive experience in insurance defense, media law and ERISA litigation.
Ms. Mansfield has a wide variety of commercial litigation experience, including obtaining a favorable jury verdict for a floor-plan lender from business tort claims asserted by debtors which involving complex issues of U.C.C. law, alleged unfair trade practices and business defamation. Her commercial experience also extends into defense of claims regarding accident disability and dismemberment insurance offered to large financial institutions and their customers.
Ms. Mansfield has also defended numerous ERISA benefits claims in state and federal courts, dealing with all aspects of ERISA litigation, including removal of cases from state to federal court, motion practice for early disposition of cases and exhaustion of administrative remedies.
Ms. Mansfield’s healthcare litigation experience includes ERISA, insurance defense and antitrust defense litigation. She also advises retirement communities on resident relations and contractual issues, including evictions for non-payment and medical issues, for both independent living and assisted living facilities. Part of her work has been advising facilities on compliance with Florida’s statutes governing assisted living facilities during an eviction process.
Ms. Mansfield's media law practice includes representing newspapers and television stations in defense of defamation claims, courtroom access, Florida's Sunshine Law, and for access to public records under the Freedom of Information Act and Florida's public records laws. In that capacity, Ms. Mansfield was instrumental in obtaining a favorable defense judgment, affirmed on appeal, which involved one of the first instances of using Internet reports to establish public figure status as part of a defamation defense. Ms. Mansfield has written articles on social media liability, and has been invited to speak numerous times regarding the legal implications of social media and Internet privacy.
Ms. Mansfield also has experience in both federal and state courts with antitrust claims, product liability defense, enforcement of patent rights, Florida lien law, and other commercial disputes at the trial court and appellate levels.
Before joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Mansfield served for two years as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Ralph W. Nimmons, Jr., United States District Judge (deceased) for the Middle District of Florida.
Prior to her law career, Ms. Mansfield served for three years as a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay teaching business skills to the management of a farmers’ cooperative.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Northwestern University, B.A., Economics
- U.S. Supreme Court
- All State Courts in Florida
- All Federal Courts in Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Merit Selection Panel, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2017, 2018
- The Florida Bar, Media Awards for Outstanding Journalism Committee, 2017
- The Florida Bar, Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, 2016-present
- The Florida Bar, Media & Communications Law Committee, Chair, 2011-2012
- The Florida Bar, Civil Trial Practice Manual, Steering Committee
- The Florida Bar, Civil Procedures Rules Committee, 2004-2010
- Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission, Commissioner, 2010-2017; Chair 2013-2014
- Mental Health America of Northeast Florida, Chair
- JCCI Forward, Chair, 2012-2013
- Jacksonville Women Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Theatre Jacksonville, Chair, 2013-2014
- Jacksonville Community Council
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017
- The Federal Bar Association Jacksonville Chapter, Spirit of Giving Award, 2016
- Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2011
- "40 Under 40," Jacksonville Business Journal, 2008
- Pro Bono Champ, Holland & Knight, 2004, 2007, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Dean's List, University of Miami School of Law
- University of Miami Law Review