Summer H. Martin
Summer Martin is a healthcare attorney in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office. Ms. Martin has a deep understanding of the healthcare sector and collaborates with clients on strategic matters, helping them achieve their goals amid a complex regulatory environment.
Ms. Martin assists clients in the structuring of business ventures, including complex mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and other affiliations and integration transactions, as well as with numerous operational and contractual matters. She brings to her transactional representations in-depth experience in healthcare regulatory and compliance matters, including assisting clients in responding to internal and governmental investigations and False Claim Act (FCA) actions, advising on fraud and abuse (including Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute), corporate compliance and integrity programs, and Medicare and Medicaid overpayments matters, as well as counseling clients on complex reimbursement matters. She also advises clients on issues relating to human subject clinical research programs and studies.
Ms. Martin's clients include not-for-profit and for-profit healthcare systems and providers, including hospitals, physicians and physician organizations, as well as suppliers, manufacturers and managed care organizations (MCOs).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Martin led the healthcare mergers and acquisitions team for a global law firm in its Atlanta office.
- Served as primary external legal counsel to a faith-based healthcare system, in its combination with Intermountain Healthcare to form an $11 billion health system operating across Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming
- Represented a large regional not-for-profit health system in the creation of an innovative clinically integrated alliance with a for-profit primary care delivery system with concierge medicine components
- Represented a major U.S. health system in its complex transactions, including the creation of a joint venture with one of the nation's largest community health networks to co-own and operate innovative care delivery models
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with distinction
- University of Georgia, MBA, with honors
- University of Georgia, B.B.A., magna cum laude
- State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section, Chair, 2013, Immediate Past Chair, 2014
- American Health Lawyers Association (ALHA), Fair Market Value Affinity Group, Former Vice Chair
- The Trevor Project, Leadership Circle
- Be the Match, Leadership Council, Former Member
- Georgia Academy of Health Care Attorneys, Former Member
- National Association of IRB Managers (NAIM), Former Member
- Bleckley American Inn of Court, Barrister, 2003-2005
- March of Dimes, Georgia Chapter, Special Events Committee, Former Member
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Healthcare 2015-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2015-Present
- Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, Health Care, 2015-Present
- Rising Stars, Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, Health Care, 2007, 2009, 2011
- Judicial Advocacy Award, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, 2012
- Order of the Coif