Brian Platton is a New York attorney who focuses his practice on transactions in healthcare and life sciences, and the regulatory triage related to such transactions.
Mr. Platton represents academic medical centers and medical schools, non-academic hospitals, non-hospital providers, managed care organizations, contract manufacturing organizations, investors in healthcare and life sciences, including venture capital funds, private equity funds and hedge funds, life sciences companies and healthcare information technology companies.
For nearly 40 years, Mr. Platton has advised clients with respect to mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, financings, investments, licensing, joint ventures, innovation programs, strategic alliances and partnerships, governance structures, marketing arrangements, services arrangements, outsourcing and other contracting.
Mr. Platton has presented on panels on behalf of organizations such as the Practising Law Institute, American Bar Association and New York State Bar Association.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Platton was an attorney at a full-service law firm in its New York office.
During law school, he served as executive editor of the Journal of International and Comparative Law.
- Regularly represents large provider systems in and with respect to data monetization transactions
- Represented a large and prestigious academic medical system in multiple joint ventures, including one for the research and development of certain cancer therapies; and another with two parties: a software company that has a clinical discovery platform and a university health science center
- Represented a prestigious academic medical system in multiple joint venture affiliations with regional hospitals outside of New York City, relating to the medical school's nationally recognized expertise in assisted reproductive services, including in vitro fertilization; also represented certain related fertility physicians in connection with a spinoff of their practice to an independent entity managed by a private equity-backed fertility services company
- Regularly counsels a large health plan offering Medicare Advantage, Medicaid Managed Care, Commercial and Managed Long Term Care products on various matters necessary to the growth of the health plan, including mergers and acquisitions, financings, Medicare audits and reporting, Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits and compliance, investigations and executive compensation matters
- Acted as transaction counsel for a New York-based nonprofit organization established in the 19th century that has been providing a broad range of services to the elderly; representation related to a strategic partnership and related transactions with a New York-based nonprofit organization that is one of the largest and most innovative health systems in the region; all of the necessary services were provided, including advising the board of trustees, drafting and negotiating all necessary documentation, conducting due diligence, and providing health regulatory and antitrust advice and counsel, including assisting with the requisite Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (HSR Act) filing
- Represented a community-based not-for-profit managed care organization (MCO) in connection with the transfer of its membership interest in a plan serving more than 300,000 enrollees to another not-for-profit health insurer serving more than 613,000 enrollees in the states of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire
- Represented one of the largest and most prestigious health systems in New York City in its sale of its outreach laboratory business to a leading, international life sciences company; representation included all aspects of the transaction, including drafting and negotiating all necessary documents, providing structuring and health regulatory advice and counsel, and antitrust advice and counsel, including assistance with the HSR filing
- Represented a leading academic health system with respect to the creation and operation of a contract manufacturing organization (CMO)
- Represented a commercial CMO with respect to various cell therapy clinical and commercial manufacturing agreements, including with large pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
- Represented a large academic health system and affiliated medical school in connection with an investment in, and beta test agreement with a data analytics company
- Represented a nonprofit MCO in connection with the sale of an affiliate operating in an adjacent state, and the withdrawal from market, runout of liabilities, wind down and dissolution of such affiliate
- Represented a large academic health system with respect to its participation in a data aggregation and commercialization joint venture, as well as its innovation programs
- Represented a large hedge fund in connection with an alternative financing of, and possible investment in, a nonprofit managed care plan
- New York Law School, J.D.
- State University of New York, The College at Brockport, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member; Health Law Committee, 2016-2019
- American Bar Association
- The Legal 500 USA, Healthcare: Service Providers, 2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Healthcare, 2011-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, HealthCare Law, 2016-2022
- New York Metro Super Lawyers magazine, HealthCare, 2018-2020
- Nightingale Health, Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyer, 2007