Robert Ricketts is an English aircraft finance solicitor who focuses his practice on aviation law, covering a wide range of legal and commercial aspects. Mr. Ricketts advises banks, leasing companies and airlines on various issues arising from the sale, purchase, leasing, financing, maintenance and mortgaging of aircraft, including the relevant registration procedures. He counsels both established and startup airlines on applicable international law and regulatory issues. He has also advised ship owners on the sale, purchase and financing of their vessels.
Mr. Ricketts acts for several airlines throughout Europe and elsewhere around the world. Recent transactions include the leasing of Boeing, Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier aircraft by a variety of lessors and the sale of a diverse range of aircraft. He also represents airlines on aviation aspects such as takeovers, mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Ricketts acts for a number of high-net-worth individuals as well as public and private companies on their aircraft acquisitions and aircraft operations.
In addition, Mr. Ricketts is a regular contributor of articles to the aviation industry and has spoken on a number of occasions at international conferences on aviation issues. He is the author of the aircraft finance section of the Butterworths Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents and has written a number of articles on aviation-related subjects.
- University College London, LL.B.
- University of London, Postgraduate Certificate, Air and Space Law
- England and Wales
- British Helicopter Advisory Board
- British Business and General Aviation Association
- Aviation Working Group, Legal Advisory Panel
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- European Air Law Association
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading
- International Air Transport Association, External IATA Trainer
- The Legal 500 United Kingdom, Aviation, 2013-2021; Asset Finance and Leasing, 2013-2019; Transport Finance and Leasing, 2020, 2021
- Chambers UK guide, Aviation: Commercial, 2003-2021
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, Private Aircraft: Global-wide, 2016-2021
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom guide, Aviation Law, 2018-2021
- Who’s Who Legal: Transport, Aviation Finance, 2017-2021, Aviation Regulatory, 2017, 2018, 2021; Thought Leader – Global Elite, Aviation, England, 2020
- The Best of the Best, Aviation, Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, 2018
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017
- Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers, Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, 2016, 2018, 2020
- Debrett’s People of Today, Law, 2006-2016
- London Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2015