Christina M. Schwing
Christina "Chris" M. Schwing is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office. Ms. Schwing is a commercial trial lawyer who focuses her practice on representing companies in class actions, mass actions and multidistrict litigations (MDLs). She has defended companies in these types of cases in California, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas in state and federal courts. Ms. Schwing has defended numerous multimillion-dollar class actions, including in the areas of energy, product liability, consumer claims, toxic torts and construction defect.
In addition to her class action practice, Ms. Schwing represents healthcare clients in connection with antitrust, false claims investigations, breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims. She also assists and represents healthcare clients with investigations and litigation when faced with data privacy breaches involving protected health information.
Ms. Schwing spends significant time representing cooperatives in all aspects of cooperative operations, including legal compliance, corporate governance, management and director training, and capital credit and equity management planning. She regularly counsels cooperatives concerning director elections and takeover attempts. She defends cooperatives facing high-stakes litigation and has achieved widespread success for her clients facing complicated lawsuits and arbitrations.
Ms. Schwing litigates complex commercial and corporate control fiduciary duty disputes, as well as a full range of business tort actions. She also is experienced in handling product liability, product recall disputes, warranty claims, insurance defense and construction defect matters. Ms. Schwing also has specific experience representing defendants in the energy, healthcare, construction, environmental and transportation industries. Among others, she has represented manufacturers, electric cooperatives, insurers, architects, developers and business owners.
In addition, Ms. Schwing has extensive experience handling e-discovery and technology matters for clients, including a data breach case that involved stolen computer equipment containing protected health information. She assists clients in preparation of data security policies and breach response and notification.
(Christina Schwing) is incredibly intelligent, knowledgeable about the industry and tenacious about getting the result we ask for. She is a valuable adviser and would be the first person I would call if there was a crisis.
– Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers 2021
Representative Environmental and Toxic Tort Engagements
- Defending clients in high-stakes mass toxic tort cases involving claims of property damage and personal injury caused by environmental contamination
- Defending clients in class actions involving claims for medical monitoring and property damage resulting from toxic dust and ash
- Defending a company against a multimillion-dollar Legionnaires' disease claim
Representative Energy Engagements
- Defending numerous electric cooperatives in class actions concerning patronage capital, cooperative governance and excess revenue disputes
- Representing cooperatives to compel arbitration of putative class actions and successfully win appeals on these issues
- Assisting statewide associations and electric cooperatives with respect to legislation impacting electric cooperatives
- Advising distribution cooperatives, generation and transmission cooperatives (G&Ts) and statewide associations regarding legal issues and best practices, including with respect to governing laws and legal principles, governance, operations and patronage capital
- Establishing broadband entities and preparing all policies, agreements and governance documents for such entities
Representative Construction Engagements
- Representing manufacturers and suppliers in construction defect litigation and class actions
- Representing general contractors, subcontractors and developers in all types of construction related disputes, including issues relating to compliance with building codes and other building regulations and standards
- Resolving hundreds of claims on behalf of manufacturers and suppliers in the areas of breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, strict liability and other related matters
Representative Product Liability Engagements
- Representing large manufacturers of commercial and residential windows and doors in product defect issues
- Representing product manufacturers in national class action and hundreds of individual property damage claims
- Representing product manufacturers in connection with catastrophic property and personal injury claims in the United States and other countries
Representative Commercial Engagements
- Representing transportation clients in connection with contractual and agent disputes
- Representing commercial clients in multimillion-dollar disputes in the areas of fraud and deceptive and unfair trade practices
- Defending commercial clients in class actions involving environmental and defective product claims
Representative Healthcare Engagements
- Defending False Claims Act matters
- Representing health insurers and HMOs involving Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) claims
- Representing companies impacted by data breaches when protected health information is involved
- Negotiating and litigating disputes between providers and payors
- Representing healthcare companies in antitrust litigation
- Representing several major health insurers and individual investigators against claims involving antitrust, conspiracy, fraud, defamation and tortious interference with contract
Ms. Schwing graduated first in her class from the University of Florida Levin College of Law, where she also served on the Florida Law Review.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D.
- University of North Florida, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- All State Courts in Florida
- All Federal Courts in Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Ability Housing of North East Florida, Executive Committee, Secretary, 2005-2009
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Pre-Law Society at the University of North Florida Board of Advisors
- Federal Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Trial Practice Section
- Jacksonville Women's Leadership Forum Inc., Immediate Past President and Chairwoman
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2021-2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Energy & Natural Resources, 2021, 2022
- Igniting Success and Buzz Media Group, 2019 Top Women Igniting Success Awards & Top Achiever Award
- Women of Influence, Jacksonville Business Journal, 2016
- 40 Under 40, Jacksonville Business Journal, 2016
- Leadership Jacksonville Class of 2015
- Judge Irving Cypen Award
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Holland & Knight Rising Star, Class of 2012
- Most Valuable Associate Pro Bono Award, 2006