William L. Weiner
William "Bill" Weiner is a healthcare and life sciences attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office. Mr. Weiner has more than 30 years of experience representing physicians, group practices, medical device manufacturers and other healthcare providers and privately held companies on transactional and regulatory matters of healthcare law.
In addition, Mr. Weiner focuses his practice on healthcare commercial transactions, including in the private equity context, and counsels physicians, their practices and other providers on billing and reimbursement, corporate governance, medical staff and regulatory issues, licensing and credentialing, government audits, corporate practice of medicine, fee splitting, and the sale, merger/integration and reacquisition of practices.
Mr. Weiner's clients also include family offices, owners and operators of traumatic brain injury centers, nursing homes and large physician-hospital organizations.
Mr. Weiner also serves as outside corporate counsel for a large, international manufacturing company, headquartered in Canada and with facilities throughout the U.S. and the United Kingdom.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Weiner was a healthcare attorney for a global law firm in its New York office.
Mr. Weiner is a frequent lecturer to medical staff and hospital administrators and other attorneys on regulatory and other issues, including those relating to practice acquisition and divestiture, and proposed joint ventures.
- Represented a New York-based, world-renowned reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI) specialist in the sale of the nonclinical assets and management of his practice to a private equity firm in a three-way transaction between himself, such private equity firm and the university medical center with which he was affiliated prior to the sale
- Served as healthcare regulatory counsel to a private equity firm acquiring the nonclinical assets and management of four separate dermatology practices – two in New York and two in New Jersey – in transactions involving numerous corporate practice of medicine and other regulatory issues
- Served as healthcare regulatory counsel to a private equity firm acquiring the nonclinical assets and management of a New York-based primary care practice in a transaction involving various corporate practice of medicine and other regulatory issues
- Represented the owner and operator of a Pennsylvania-based traumatic brain-injury center in the sale of its assets to a national, well-known owner/operator of nursing homes, assisted-living centers and similar facilities
- Served as transactional and healthcare regulatory counsel to a Pennsylvania-based OB-GYN practice in connection with the proposed sale of its nonclinical assets and management to a private equity firm
- Served as transactional and healthcare regulatory counsel to a suburban Philadelphia OB-GYN practice in the sale of its clinical assets and management to a large Pennsylvania-based healthcare system
- Served as healthcare regulatory counsel to a private equity firm seeking to acquire the nonclinical assets and management of a New York-based pediatric dentistry practice with multiple locations in New York and New Jersey
- Represented a large international manufacturing company in the stock acquisition of a privately held company with multiple facilities in the U.S., together with a related cross-border financing transaction, having an aggregate value in excess of $100 million
- Represented a large international manufacturing company in the stock acquisition of a wholly owned subsidiary of a publicly traded company
- Represented a New Jersey-based federally qualified health center (FQHC) in obtaining a favorable settlement with the New Jersey Office of the State Comptroller in a matter involving alleged Medicaid overpayments where the amount of the settlement was less than one-third of that which the state initially sought to recover
- Represented a physician in suburban Philadelphia subject to a criminal investigation in another state, and licensing investigations by boards of medicine in multiple states, including regulatory charges filed by the Pennsylvania Board of Medicine, in connection with prescriptions allegedly written for controlled substances
- Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), Health Law Section and Business Section
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Medical Defense and Health Law Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Union League of Philadelphia
- Princeton Committee on Foreign Relations, Past President, 2008-2011
- Friends' Central School, Alumni Association, Past President, 1988-1998
- Phillips Mill Foundation for the Arts, Member, Board of Directors, March 2021-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Municipal Law, 2023
- National Political Science Honor Society, 1980