- Holland & Knight is your legislative advocate in the state capitals where we have offices. Our team works diligently and carefully to identify every proposal directly affecting your operations, so that together we can make the case for passage, defeat or amendment.
- As one of the first major law firms to create a public law practice, we have decades of experience representing your interests before governors, cabinets, state agencies and local government entities across the United States.
- Our team has spent years working in state capitals, and we leverage the knowledge we have gained – and the working relationships we have built – to help you accomplish your statewide goals.
State and local governments increasingly impact your business decisions and strategies. As your legislative advocate in the state capital – we work to identify, pass, amend or defeat proposals directly affecting your operations.
As one of the first major law firms to create a public law practice, we also apply our knowledge of law and public policy to the administrative arena and to representing your interests before governors, cabinets, state agencies and local government entities across the United States.
Serving Your Government Law Needs
In dealing with the leadership of state legislative bodies, governors’ offices, executive branch agencies and cabinets and local government officials, working with counsel that has extensive experience with these entities helps you accomplish your goals. We are dedicated to serving your government law needs, whether they involve lobbying, representation before state agencies and local governments, guidance in procurement and grants-making processes, or monitoring legislative and administrative developments.
Comprehensive State Legislative Representation
As state legislative counsel to business enterprises, our team provides a variety of services ranging from simple monitoring and reporting of legislative and regulatory matters to full-service representation including:
- providing legislative analysis
- advising and consulting on legislative strategies and developing issues
- preparing, delivering, reviewing and analyzing committee testimony
- identifying strategic interest alliances and coordinating interest groups
- drafting legislation
- lobbying for appropriations funding
- initiating special legislation
- providing advance notice of upcoming relevant issues
- advising on public affairs, consensus building and grassroots advocacy
- engaging in other traditional lobbying activities
Diverse Industry Experience
Industries assisted by our State Capitals Team are extensive and include the following:
- health care companies
- insurance companies
- construction companies
- energy companies
- financial services companies
- food, restaurant and hotel companies
- local governments
- lottery companies
- mining industry
- national trade associations
- not-for-profit service organizations
- pharmacies and pharmacists
- solid waste management firms
- state self-insurance security funds
- technology companies
- communications companies
- transportation companies
State Administrative, Rulemaking and Procurement Representation
Our team provides local government law advice and representation on a full range of procedural and substantive issues that arise between our clients and other public or private interests. This encompasses regulatory matters including rulemaking, permitting, negotiations, administrative litigation, compliance and enforcement proceedings, business and professional licensing and rate form filing.
Thorough Representation of Government Contractors
Our lawyers and lobbyists are particularly skilled at assisting government contractors in staying ahead of the ever-changing landscape. Our State Capitals Team routinely partners with our government contracts lawyers to provide a seamless, integrated approach to winning new business and maintaining existing contracts at a variety of state agencies. We are committed to assisting you in obtaining appropriations for key agency programs and guiding you through the complexities of the procurement process to enhance your ability to convert the appropriation into a contract award. When necessary, we are prepared to challenge or defend those government contract award decisions.
Scope of State Government Representation
Our team has the capability to represent you before governmental bodies in Washington, D.C. and the following states: California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois.