Kayla Leland Pragid
Kayla Pragid is a trial and litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's West Palm Beach office. Ms. Pragid focuses her practice on complex federal litigation and class actions nationwide, with an emphasis on prosecuting and defending fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices across multiple industries. Ms. Pragid assists companies in navigating the complexities and intricacies of fraud involving securities, healthcare, insurance, crypto and the equine industry, as well as shareholder derivative claims and ERISA/ESOP claims with underlying allegations of deceptive or unfair conduct.
Ms. Pragid also has significant experience handling transactions and litigation involving medical providers and institutions.
Clients often call on Ms. Pragid because of her ability to strategically and efficiently manage large cases and massive discovery obligations, including the management of electronic discovery (e-discovery). Ms. Pragid is incredibly organized, strategic and efficient with both time and resources. She assists clients in achieving successful, cost-effective results. Ms. Pragid has successfully managed and litigated cases to settlement, summary judgment and verdict.
Ms. Pragid prides herself on her commitment to pro bono legal work for those who are so often underserved by the community. In this regard, she frequently represents pro bono clients in domestic violence and stalking cases on the civil and criminal side. She is also passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). She co-chairs the West Palm Beach office's DEI committee and sits on the firmwide Diversity Counsel. She also manages an intensive mentorship program for diverse law students.
While in law school, Ms. Pragid was a judicial law clerk for the Honorable A. Jay Cristol of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of Florida.
- Defended a political candidate in a protracted class action alleging he and his campaign violated a federal statute and were subject to significant statutory fines
- On the verge of protracted and costly litigation, advised a national restaurant brand in negotiating new terms for the limited liability agreements controlling the various companies and avoided litigation between the five business partners
- Represented several international manufacturers in dozens of matters involving product liability, breaches of warranties, breaches of contract, construction defects and complaints of nuisance
- Represented an international products manufacturer in a matter relating to the enforceability of a complicated Coblentz agreement and successfully obtained a summary judgment in federal court for her client
- Defended a national moving company against allegations that the company intentionally underpaid for employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) shares during the sale of the company
- Defended a class action alleging one of the largest agricultural companies purportedly improperly administered its Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)-governed pension plans as a result of a merger
- Defended a class action alleging the owners of a multinational company deceived its employees when it created an ESOP by purportedly overvaluing the company
- Obtained the complete dismissal of a lawsuit filed against a national insurance company after successfully arguing ERISA preempted the state law claims; the dismissal saved the company millions of dollars because (after some negotiation) the provider ultimately agreed to go in-network and forgo all litigation and arbitration options
- Successfully removed several cases from state court to federal court on the grounds of ERISA preemption (and other related preemptions) and resolved the cases shortly thereafter
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Boston University, B.S.B.A., magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Raise the Bar, Women's Foundation of Florida, Committee Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- Central Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce, Committee Member
- Human Trafficking Coalition of the Palm Beaches
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, West Palm Beach Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law Ones to Watch, 2023
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2020-2022
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Dean's List, University of Miami School of Law
- CALI Excellence Award, Property and Health & Elder Law Clinic
- Dean's Certificate of Achievement, University of Miami School of Law
- Duberstein Moot Court Competition, Octofinalist 2011, 2012
- Khan, Cristol, Paskay Moot Court Competition, Semifinalist
- Moot Court Competition, Quarterfinalist and Best Brief
- 1L Moot Court Competition, Semifinalist