Peter Baumgaertner is a partner in the New York office and a member of Holland & Knight's Corporate, M&A and Securities Practice Group. Mr. Baumgaertner has significant experience in handling multibillion-dollar matters for clients worldwide. He is highly knowledgeable in handling capital markets, project financing, restructuring, public-private partnership (P3) and lending transactions for a global clientele. In addition, Mr. Baumgaertner has an extensive background in advising financial institutions and borrowers throughout Latin America. He also counsels financial institutions and other creditors in connection with insolvencies and restructurings for corporate borrowers in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico.
Mr. Baumgaertner routinely represents and counsels U.S. and international governmental units, equity sponsors, corporate borrowers, public utilities, institutional investors, investment bankers, credit enhancement providers, lenders, administrative agents and indenture trustees.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Baumgaertner was the leader of the Latin America practice and New York corporate practice for an international law firm.
- Representation of Deutsche Bank in connection with the multijurisdictional exit financing of Seadrill Limited in 2018
- Represented the sponsor in connection with the development and project financing of a $2 billion fully integrated, state-of-the-art nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing facility located in Posey County, Ind., which included the issuance of $1.259 billion Posey County, Indiana Economic Development Revenue Bonds, Refunding Series 2013A (Midwest Fertilizer Corporation Project)
- Represented Green Earth Fuels LLC in connection with the development and project financing of a biodiesel manufacturing facility located on the Houston Ship Channel
- Represented Covanta (formerly Ogden) in connection with the tax-exempt financing and refinancing of waste-to-energy facilities throughout the United States; also served as designated underwriter's counsel in connection with the tax-exempt bond offerings through governmental conduits
- Represented the borrower in connection with an Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) financing of a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in Ghana
- Representation of developer in connection with the issuance of $1 billion Public Finance Authority Limited Obligation PILOT Revenue Bonds and Grant Revenue Bonds (American Dream at Meadowlands Project), Series 2017
- Representation of underwriters in connection with the City of High Point, N.C., Taxable Limited Obligation Bonds (Downtown multiuse sports and entertainment project), Series 2018
- Representation of remarketing agent in connection with the remarketing of $64.46 million Business Finance Authority of the State of New Hampshire Pollution Control Refunding Revenue Bonds (The United Illuminating Company Project – 2003 Series A)
- Represented the University of Kansas in connection with the issuance and sale of $326.95 million Public Finance Authority Lease Development Revenue Bonds (KU Campus Development Corporation – Central District Development Project), Series 2016
- Represented J.P. Morgan and Barclays as underwriter's counsel in connection with the issuance and sale of $227.35 million Treasurer of State of Ohio Tax Exempt Private Activity Bonds, Series 2015 (Portsmouth Bypass Project)
- Represented Japan Airlines and Air France in connection with the issuance and sale of $167.26 million New York Transportation Development Corporation Special Facility Revenue Refunding Bonds, Series 2015 (Terminal One Group Association L.P. Project)
- Represented the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority as bond counsel in connection with more than $1 billion of tax-exempt bond offerings on behalf of the airport and tenants of the airport
- Represented more than 40 units of local government in North Carolina as bond counsel in connection with the issuance of general obligation bonds, revenue bonds and certificates of participation
- Represented United Water and Pennsylvania-American Water Co. in connection with the tax-exempt bond financing of "exempt facilities"
- Representation of a global bank and its subsidiaries in Brazil and U.S. as administrative agent in connection with the reorganization and restructuring of 29 offshore oil drillships in Brazil
- Representation of a global bank's Americas subsidiary as trustee's counsel on behalf of senior noteholders in connection with the restructuring of a vertically integrated sugar/ethanol company (Brazil)
- Representation of a global bank's Americas subsidiary as trustee's counsel in connection with a liability management/restructuring transaction on behalf of noteholders for a group of companies that provide chemicals, petrochemicals, coatings and logistics) (Mexico)
- Representation of a global bank in connection with a restructuring of credit transactions and liability management transactions for an offshore oil drilling company (Mexico)
- Representation of a global bank in connection with liability management transactions related to notes issued by a number of financial services companies (Chile)
- Representation of a Delaware-based bank as trustee's counsel in connection with the bankruptcy and sale of assets related to senior secured notes issued by a Mexico-based oil engineering services company (Mexico)
- Representation of a global bank in connection with the insolvency and restructuring of an energy company that provides solutions for power generation (Argentina)
- Representation of a global bank as trustee's counsel in connection with the restructuring of senior notes for an offshore, ultra-deep oil drilling services company (Brazil)
- Representation of a London-based investment trust company as trustee's counsel on behalf of bondholders in connection with the insolvency proceedings of a Mexican paper producer (Mexico)
- Representation of New York-based bank in connection with the bankruptcy of a copper mining company
- Representation of a global bank and its subsidiaries in Brazil and U.S. in connection with the restructuring of notes issued by a Brazilian conglomerate
- Representation of airport operators as major creditor in connection with the bankruptcy filing by a Latin American airline holding company (Colombia and United States)
- Representation of a U.S. major oil and gas company in connection with a Brazilian joint venture to create a lubricants oil business in Brazil
- Led a team of U.S., English and Japanese lawyers representing Areva in connection with its corporate reorganization with EDF
- Represented Deutsche Bank in connection with the divestiture of its municipal bond trust business to U.S. Bank
- Represented the underwriter in connection with the offering of units of limited partnership interests, the proceeds of which are being used to acquire oil and gas properties throughout the United States
- Represented the project sponsor in connection with the development and financing of a 315 megawatt (MW) undersea electric transmission cable in the United States
- Represented investment banking firms in connection with the structuring of collateralized debt obligation transactions involving the insurance and energy industries
- Represented multinational corporations in connection with commercial transactions throughout South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana and Mauritius
- Represented Deutsche Bank as trustee's counsel in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganizations of KV Pharmaceutical, Fleetwood Enterprises Inc. and ASARCO LLC
- Represented the Brooklyn Navy Yard Cogeneration Partners L.P. in connection with the development, construction and financing of a natural gas-fired cogeneration facility (with maximum generating capability of 325 MW) located at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with the development of an online trading platform for illiquid securities
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D.
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Brazil-Florida Business Council Inc.
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Law Council, 2004-2008
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA), Auction Rate Securities (ARS) Drafting Task Force Committee
- Transport Group, Board of Directors, 2004-2007
- Latinvex, Latin America's Top 100 Lawyers, 2015-2020
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Banking and Finance, 2015-2019
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Capital Markets, 2015-2019
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions, 2015-2019
- The Legal 500 USA, Project Finance, 2017
- IFLR1000, The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, Banking, 2018, 2019
- IFLR1000, The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, Capital Markets: Debt-U.S., 2018, 2019