Joshua Cohn is a construction attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office focusing on complex procurements, agreements and transactions, as well as litigation, including trials, arbitrations and mediations. He represents clients in transactions and litigation matters throughout the United States. Mr. Cohn also advises clients on strategy, risk, contract compliance and regulatory matters.
Mr. Cohn's transactional experience includes:
- Owner Agreements with Contractors: Representing owners in the drafting and negotiating of their agreements for construction management services on commercial, residential and retail projects of various sizes and complexity. This includes drafting both project-specific agreements as well as tailored agreement forms for use on multiple projects.
- Contractor Agreements with Owners and Subcontractors: Representing contractors in their negotiations of agreements with owners and subcontractors. This includes drafting both project-specific agreements as well as tailored agreement forms for use on multiple projects.
- Mr. Cohn regularly advises clients on the performance of contract requirements throughout the stages of projects.
Mr. Cohn's litigation and dispute resolution experience includes:
- Representing international light rail vehicle manufacturer in arbitration concerning the retrofit and installation of positive train control (PTC) equipment subject to federal mandates and deadlines for New Jersey Transit (NJT).
- Representing contractors on federal projects in disputes with owners and subcontractors, including matters in federal court and before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA).
- Representing contractors on private projects in disputes with owners and subcontractors regarding allegations of nonpayment, delay and defective workmanship.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Cohn worked for a state attorney general's office, where he represented government agencies on construction and transportation-related matters. As deputy attorney general, Mr. Cohn's practice included complex construction litigation involving roads, bridges, buildings and utilities. He also has experience providing procurement advice, review of agreements, public records representation, regulatory and legislative guidance, and general agency counseling. In addition, Mr. Cohn is well-versed in representing clients before administrative proceedings, mediations, trials and appeals.
During law school, Mr. Cohn interned for the Honorable Michael A. Shipp of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and was a member of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Donald A. Kessler of the Chancery Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Baruch College of the City University of New York, B.B.A.
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021