John Devine is a corporate services and mergers and acquisitions (M&A) attorney in Holland & Knight's Philadelphia office. Mr. Devine focuses his practice on private M&A transactions, including private equity and venture capital financing transactions, securities offerings and commercial licensing transactions, with concentrated experience in the healthcare industry.
Mr. Devine's transactional experience spans a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, light manufacturing, consumer products, consulting services, and food and beverage. Since 2008, he has advised on regulatory and strategic transaction matters to healthcare industry clients, including hospitals, health systems, physician group practices and home health providers.
Previously, Mr. Devine served as chief legal officer of a healthcare startup focused on providing pharmaceutical services to patients in the Southeast. His transactional experience enables him to provide practical and creative business solutions to clients in the healthcare industry and beyond. He also speaks regularly on healthcare transactional and regulatory matters locally and nationally.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Devine was a corporate transactional attorney for a national law firm in its Philadelphia office.
In the community, Mr. Devine devotes substantial time to serving on boards that promote community and culture in Philadelphia and surrounding neighborhoods.
- Advised a national clinical laboratory company in connection with acquisition of a clinical laboratory services company based in a state with "corporate practice of medicine" prohibitions
- Represented a private equity-backed healthcare company providing comprehensive in-home health risk assessment services in the $225 million sale of its business to a private equity purchaser
- Advised a New Jersey-based continuing care retirement community in connection with its affiliation with a nationally recognized senior living organization
- Represented a local specialty pharmacy in connection with a series of retail pharmacy asset acquisitions
- Represented a Philadelphia-based college of medicine in connection with its affiliation with a national integrated healthcare provider/payer system and the creation of a new four-year regional school of medicine campus to provide additional educational opportunities for the client's school
- Advised a regional cable services provider in connection with the structure and execution of an expansion strategy that included the acquisition of assets from multiple competing cable systems
- Represented a Philadelphia-based private equity firm in connection with numerous M&A transactions, including the acquisition of a Utah-based consumer products company
- Represented a national provider of home healthcare and hospice services in connection with development and execution of its strategic growth initiatives and transactions, as well as joint venture arrangements with hospitals and health systems
- Advised the developer of a consumer-focused healthcare technology platform that allows dentists to connect with patients and offer them alternative payment options
- Counseled hospital and health system clients on physician practice acquisitions and compensation arrangements
- Represented a consumer services client in connection with its Series A fundraising activities
- Counseled a pharmacy services client in connection with its negotiation of a multimillion-dollar credit facility used to finance its mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activities
- Served as outside general counsel for a securities research firm and provided strategic guidance on M&A strategy and day-to-day corporate governance and commercial contract matters
- Advised a life sciences company in connection with a convertible debt and warrant offering
- Represented a Philadelphia-based architecture firm that specializes in commercial architecture in the hospitality, gaming and entertainment industry in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a global architecture, design and consulting services organization
- Served as outside general counsel for a Philadelphia-based life sciences company and provided counsel related to corporate governance, commercial and strategic acquisition matters, including the licensing of pediatric drug assets
- Represented a school of medicine in connection with its negotiation of an academic affiliation agreement with a prominent hospital
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
- Brown University, B.A.
- Philadelphia Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2023-Present
- Mann Music Center for the Performing Arts, Council Member, 2018-Present
- Chestnut Hill Community Fund, Board Member, 2018-2021
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Program, Candidate Selection Committee, 2011-2014, 2015-Present
- Bringing Hope Home Inc., Pro Bono Legal Counsel, 2008-2014
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Healthcare, 2023