Joshua E. Husbands
Joshua E. Husbands is a partner in Holland & Knight’s Portland office and a member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group. He often serves as outside general counsel for private companies and their owners, representing clients in an array of business, tax, business succession and estate planning matters, including business reorganizations, acquisitions and divestitures. He frequently writes and speaks on business, tax, life insurance and asset protection matters concerning businesses and high-net-worth individuals.
Counseling Closely Held Businesses. Mr. Husbands is personally involved in a multi-generational family business and private investment company, and he also has personal experience with family trusts, including serving as a trustee. Having personally been through similar situations as his clients gives Mr. Husbands additional insight and the ability to provide meaningful, comprehensive advice and judgment in such matters. He brings this practical knowledge to all of his personal wealth counseling.
Guiding Large Private Clients Through Succession. Large private clients – both businesses and their owners – who wish to move wealth from one generation to the next rely on Mr. Husbands for recapitalizations, the creation of holding companies, entity merging and acquisitions, and divesting businesses to create liquid wealth and help facilitate their long-term visions.
Planning for Executives of Public Companies. Federal securities rules may apply to public company executives who hold company stock. Planning techniques for these executives who may be designated as "insiders" by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requires a sophisticated design and careful implementation. Mr. Husbands balances these complex issues while ensuring that the privacy needs of such high-profile individuals are fully respected.
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, J.D., cum laude
- The University of Texas at Austin, BBA
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow; New Fellows Steering Committee, Chair, 2017- 2018; Oregon State Chair-Elect 2018 (3-year State Chair term starts in 2019)
- Estate Planning Council of Portland, Inc., Board of Directors
- ABA Tax Section
- ABA Business Law Section
- Portland Japanese Garden, Foundation Board President and Planned Giving Committee
- Oregon State Bar Tax Section
- Oregon State Bar, Estate Planning and Administration Section
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section, Newsletter Committee
- Portland Tax Forum, Board of Directors
- Marathon Scholars, Mentor
- Lewis & Clark Law School, former Adjunct Faculty Member, 2009-2013
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, Private Wealth Law: Oregon, 2016-2020
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, Oregon, Private Wealth Law, Life Insurance Specialists USA, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Insurance Law, Trusts and Estates, 2013-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Portland Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Lawyer of the Year, 2016, 2019
- Guide to the World’s Leading Trusts and Estates Lawyers, Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, 2015
- Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2014-2020
- Who’s Who Legal 100: Private Client, 2014, 2015
- The International Who’s Who of Private Client Lawyers, 2013-2015
- 40 Under 40, Portland Business Journal, 2013
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2013
- Excellence in Writing Award, Best Overall Article - Trust & Estates From Probate & Property Magazine, 2008