Stewart L. Kasner
Stewart Kasner is a private wealth services attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office, where he focuses primarily in the areas of international taxation, trusts and estates.
Mr. Kasner routinely advises foreign and domestic clients on U.S. federal income, gift and estate tax matters associated with their cross-border investments, including U.S. real estate investments and business activities, as well as pre-immigration tax planning. His practice also includes forming and overseeing complex international corporate and trust structures, as well as implementing international reorganizations.
Mr. Kasner has extensive experience in offshore trust instruments, U.S. fiscal information reporting, Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), Common Reporting Standard (CRS), voluntary disclosures and withholding tax compliance. He also advises on the development and purchase of offshore private placement U.S. tax compliant life insurance and annuity contracts.
In addition, Mr. Kasner is board certified in tax law by The Florida Bar. He is well-versed in providing tax advice to both foreign and domestic ultra-high-net-worth individuals with respect to their inbound and outbound activities. He began his career working in the Miami office of a national law firm, concentrating in the area of domestic taxation.
In the community, Mr. Kasner has served as an adjunct professor of federal income taxation and estate planning at St. Thomas University School of Law, Florida International University College of Law and the University of Miami. He also represents indigent clients in connection with their U.S. tax controversies through Put Something Back, a joint pro bono project of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida and the Miami-Dade County Bar Association in conjunction with Legal Services of Greater Miami.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- McGill University, B.Com, Finance and International Business
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Florida Bar, Tax Section
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- The Greater Miami Tax Institute, Past President
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, Private Wealth Law: Florida, 2016-2021
- Citywealth Magazine, Leaders List, 2017, 2018
- Guide to the World's Leading Trusts and Estate Practitioners, Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 2007-2021
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Tax, 2005-2011, 2015-2021
- The Legal 500 USA, International Tax, 2014, 2015
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating