Stewart L. Kasner
Stewart Kasner is a private wealth services attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office, where he co-leads the firm’s International Private Client Group, focusing primarily in the areas of international taxation, trusts and estates.
Mr. Kasner routinely advises ultra-high-net-worth foreign and domestic clients on U.S. federal income, gift and estate tax matters associated with their cross-border investments, including U.S. real estate investments and business activities, as well as pre-immigration tax planning. His practice also includes forming and overseeing complex international corporate and trust structures, and implementing international reorganizations.
Mr. Kasner has extensive experience in offshore trust instruments, international information reporting, Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA), Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), voluntary disclosures and withholding tax matters. He also advises on divorce tax matters for cross-border couples, as well as the development and purchase of offshore private placement U.S. tax compliant life insurance and annuity contracts.
In addition, Mr. Kasner is board certified in tax law by The Florida Bar.
In the community, Mr. Kasner has served as an adjunct professor of federal income taxation and estate planning at St. Thomas University School of Law, Florida International University College of Law and the University of Miami. He also represents indigent clients in connection with their U.S. tax controversies through Put Something Back, a joint pro bono project of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida and the Miami-Dade County Bar Association in conjunction with Legal Services of Greater Miami.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- McGill University, B.Com, Finance and International Business
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Florida Bar, Tax Section
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- The Greater Miami Tax Institute, Past President
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Citywealth Magazine, Top 100 Private Client Lawyers, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, 2007-2022
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, Private Wealth Law: Florida, 2016-2021
- Citywealth Magazine, Leaders List, 2017, 2018
- Guide to the World's Leading Trusts and Estate Practitioners, Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, 2017
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Tax, 2005-2011, 2015-2021
- The Legal 500 USA, International Tax, 2014, 2015
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating