Chauncey M. Lane is a transactional attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Lane structures and negotiates complex transactions for strategic buyers and sellers as well as private equity firms in the technology and financial services industries.
A thought leader on rapidly evolving deal trends and strategies, Mr. Lane is regularly called on to advise clients on their most significant transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, going private transactions, leveraged buyouts, carve-outs, platform acquisitions, add-on acquisitions and recapitalizations. Mr. Lane regularly leverages his transactional skills and knowledge to advise clients on cross-border transactions in Europe and South Asia, among other international jurisdictions.
Mr. Lane also serves as an adviser to venture capital funds and other alternative financing vehicles, where he regularly leads significant investment transactions into emerging growth companies and strategic partnerships. Often serving as outside general counsel and a trusted business adviser to his fund clients, Mr. Lane has a breadth of knowledge on the many issues that venture-backed operating companies regularly face.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Lane, a U.S. Army veteran, has a passion for helping his fellow veterans and handles several pro bono cases on their behalf each year.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Lane was an attorney at a multinational law firm in Dallas. During law school, he was a member of the Texas Tech Law Review.
- Represented the owner and operator of 150 franchise stores on the $175 million sale of the franchise portfolio to the franchisor
- Guided a multinational technology services company on the $100 million cross-border acquisition of a cloud modernization services partner with competencies in its cloud platform, data center, application development and data analytics, and application integration
- Advised a Canadian renewable energy and regulated utility conglomerate on a $2.3 billion cross-border merger with a New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)-listed public utility company
- Advised a private equity portfolio company on a $25 million carve-out asset sale of consumer goods assets
- Represented a multinational technology services company on the $75 million acquisition of global cloud transformation services provider that developed scalable, cloud-based solutions as a premier partner
- Represented a strategic seller in a private equity-sponsored $70 million share exchange and reverse merger transaction with a roll-over investment
- Represented a Canadian renewable energy and regulated utility conglomerate in a $200 million senior unsecured debt offering and a $150 million equity offering
- Represented a Canadian renewable energy and regulated utility conglomerate in a $150 million equity offering with a parallel off-shore equity tranche
- Advised a wireless communications company on a $200 million cross-border offering of senior unsecured notes
- Advised a foreign private issuer on all aspects of compliance with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) governance and ongoing reporting requirements
- Advised a fund sponsor on the formation of a $75 million private equity fund and related U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance matters
- Advised a national real estate private equity fund sponsor on a series of co-investment transactions in multifamily housing, student housing and workforce housing portfolios
- Advised a private equity fund sponsor on a $100 million private equity fund formation
- Guided a sponsor through the formation of a $175 million long-short equity hedge fund and related SEC compliance under the Investment Advisers Act and the Investment Company Act
- Advised a venture capital fund on a $3.5 million equity investment in a sporting goods technology company
- Advised a venture capital fund on a $2 million convertible preferred equity investment in an Israeli medical device company
- Advised a venture capital fund on a $750,000 convertible preferred equity investment in a consumer goods company
- Advised a global manufacturing company on a $5 million equity investment in a competing manufacturing company that included the creation of a strategic manufacturing partnership aimed at achieving economies of scale
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Securities and Financial Regulation
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D.
- Texas Tech University, MBA
- Park University, B.S.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Law360, Mergers & Acquisitions Editorial Advisory Board, 2023
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 2019
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Content Committee Member; Business Law Today, Managing Editor, 2017-2019; Business Law Today, Executive Editor, 2019-Present
- Association for Corporate Growth, Dallas Chapter, 2017-Present
- State Bar of Texas Office of Minority Affairs, Texas Minority Counsel Program, Steering Committee, 2016-2023
- Dallas Bar Association, 2015-Present
- Society for Corporate Governance, 2013-2020
- The Legal 500 USA, M&A/Corporate and Commercial – M&A: Middle-Market (sub $500M), 2023
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, Securities & Corporate Finance, 2020