Herman R. Lipkis
Herman R. Lipkis is a real estate and hospitality attorney in Holland & Knight's Fort Lauderdale office. Mr. Lipkis focuses his practice on structured real estate finance, acquisitions, dispositions, hospitality transactions, commercial leasing, management and construction matters.
Mr. Lipkis represents national and foreign financial institutions, borrowers, real estate developers, owners and operators in various types of loan transactions, including portfolio loans (acquisition, construction, development, bridge, revolving, term, permanent and mezzanine), commercial mortgage-backed security (CMBS) loans, syndications, intercreditor and participation arrangements. He also represents lenders and borrowers with U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans, including 7(a) and 504 loans and the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).
Mr. Lipkis has experience representing purchasers, sellers and developers in complicated real estate transactions, including medical and healthcare campuses, shopping centers, multifamily developments, industrial parks, senior living facilities, office buildings, commercial condominiums, high-end residential properties, farms and unimproved land throughout the United States. He regularly counsels clients on a variety of due diligence issues, including title, survey and municipal regulatory matters.
In addition, Mr. Lipkis represents landlords and tenants in negotiating complex office, retail and industrial leases and license agreements. His leasing practice involves the representation of institutional landlords as well as retail tenants in the leasing of malls, shopping centers, restaurants, bars, office buildings, medical centers and industrial properties. He has experience with and has written extensively about new and evolving trends such as coworking spaces, ghost kitchens and temporary pop-up retail tenancies.
Mr. Lipkis also has experience with sophisticated hospitality transactions and hotel operations matters, including hotel and resort acquisitions, dispositions and development. He has experience negotiating hotel management agreements, franchise agreements, and bar and restaurant agreements involving domestic and international hotels and resorts.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Lipkis worked in the New York office of an international law firm. During law school, Mr. Lipkis was a member of the Cardozo Law Review and was involved with Cardozo's Holocaust Claims Restitution Clinic.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
- Columbia University, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seafarers' House at Port Everglades, Board of Directors
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- Broward County Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- AIPAC, Real Estate Division
- NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association, Broward Chapter
- ULI Southeast Florida Leadership Institute, Class IV
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2022
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale, Class XXV
- Glass Leadership Fellow, Anti-Defamation League
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020