Sam J. Louis
Sam J. Louis is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Houston office. Mr. Louis' practice involves providing advice and counsel regarding healthcare regulatory issues, white collar criminal defense, corporate internal investigations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and compliance with federal regulations that govern food and drug distribution.
Mr. Louis has extensive experience representing corporate entities, their executives and employees in connection with grand jury investigations, criminal trials and hearings, regulatory investigation and enforcement proceedings, federal criminal prosecutions, U.S. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) investigations and prosecutions, False Claims Act (FCA) and healthcare fraud investigations.
Throughout his more than 27-year career, Mr. Louis has handled complex cases involving white collar crimes such as healthcare fraud, insurance fraud, official corruption, financial institutions fraud, bankruptcy fraud, tax evasion, bank fraud, intellectual property rights violations, investment schemes, identity theft prosecutions and fraud against federal programs such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
Mr. Louis is the former deputy criminal chief of the program fraud group for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in the Southern District of Texas. He was responsible for the supervision of 11 attorneys and was lead attorney in more than 200 criminal jury trials. In addition, Mr. Louis served as the healthcare fraud coordinator for more than 10 years and was directly responsible for the intake, investigation, supervision and prosecution of all healthcare fraud matters.
During his tenure with the DOJ, Mr. Louis oversaw a healthcare fraud task force and a global anti-counterfeiting task force, each comprised of local, state and federal law enforcement, private industry officials and community organizations. Through the former, he was responsible for securing the return of more than $60 million to government and private healthcare programs. In the latter, he investigated and prosecuted global anti-counterfeiting targets, including foreign nationals trafficking in counterfeit, unapproved and adulterated medicines and the diversion of pharmaceutical drug products. Mr. Louis has also successfully prosecuted individuals charged with white collar crimes, immigration, firearm offenses and drug trafficking. He was the first prosecutor to obtain the extradition and subsequent prosecution of a foreign national for intellectual property right crimes. In addition, he was responsible for the intake, case assignment and supervision of white collar prosecutions for bankruptcy fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud, money laundering, theft from federal programs, identity theft, tax evasion and customs violations. These prosecutions were featured and recognized by former U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, and the U.S. Congressional Subcommittee on Intellectual Property.
Mr. Louis has handled many high-profile investigations that were featured on CBS "60 Minutes," "Dan Rather Reports", ABC's "20/20" and quoted in The New York Times, the Huffington Post, Modern Healthcare, The Scientist and other international media organizations.
- Represented dentists who owned a dental practice under investigation for federal False Claims Act (FCA) violation alleging the submission of false claims in the amount of $600,000; the investigation was closed without any finding of liability
- Represented the owner of national corporation that transports bulk mail for the U.S. Postal Service under investigation for obtaining confidential and privileged information from former postal executive; the investigation was closed without charges being filed against the owner of the corporation
- Represented the owners of an adult daycare facility under investigation for fraudulently billing Medicaid for more than $500,000; the investigation was closed with no repayment of finding of fraud
- Represented the owner of an aviation corporation under investigation for bribing foreign officials in violation of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); the investigation was closed without any charges being filed
- Represented a dentist who owned several dental clinics alleged to have billed for services provided by providers not enrolled in Medicaid program; obtained settlement with no imposition of civil monetary penalties
- Represented a physician under investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for purchasing and distributing counterfeit medicines; investigation was closed with no charges being filed
- Represented several individuals charged with healthcare fraud
- Represented the owner of a multinational corporation charged with FCPA violations
- Represented a large healthcare system providing guidance and advice regarding compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) regulations and policies
- Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Lamar University, BBA
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- College of the State Bar of Texas, 1995
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2017
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Evaluation and Review Team, 2000-2013
- Better Business Bureau, Consumer Protection Group, 2002-2013
- Earl Carl Institute for Legal and Social Policy, Board of Directors, 2018
- Altus Healthcare Systems, Policy Committee, 2016
- The Partnership for Safe Medicines (PSM), Board of Directors, 2015
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), 2016
- National Trial Lawyers (NTL), 2015
- Target Hunger, Board of Directors, 2016-2017
- Thurgood Marshall Law Review
- Texas Lawyer Trailblazers Award, Texas Lawyer, 2019
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2015
- Distinguished Service Award, Intellectual Property Rights Prosecutions, U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Homeland Security Investigations, 2012
- Integrity Award, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Inspector General, 2004, 2011
- Director's Award, Counterfeit Pharmaceutical Prosecution, DHS, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 2010
- Award for Excellence, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), 2001, 2006
- Distinguished Service Award, Office of the Attorney General, State of Texas, 2005
- Excellence in Federal Government Award, 2004
- Investigation of the Year Award, National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association (NHCAA), 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), 2001
- Merit Award, Richmond (Texas) Police Department, 1997
- Director's Award, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), 1997
- Merit Award, DEA High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Task Force, 1996