Elizabeth Neal Pitman
Beth Pitman advises healthcare systems and providers and healthcare IT businesses when navigating healthcare privacy and cybersecurity regulations, other healthcare regulations and government reimbursement program matters. Her previous experience as general counsel for a health IT company is a valuable asset for healthcare companies who appreciate her operational insight regarding the impact on their businesses of privacy and data security regulations and other healthcare regulatory and related contract issues.
Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC), Ms. Pitman advises a wide range of healthcare providers and businesses, including hospitals and healthcare systems, physicians, dentists, therapists, labs, provider management service businesses, outpatient services providers and HIT companies on HIPAA compliance, data security and technology licensing matters.
Ms. Pitman's experience includes the development and ongoing management of comprehensive HIPAA compliance programs, drafting and negotiating business associate agreements, developing internal policies and workforce training modules for patient privacy and data security, and providing advice, guidance and representation in investigations before government regulators related to data breaches. She also provides advice to clients related to the frequent changes associated with the many federal healthcare payment programs. Her HIT-specific experience includes the drafting and negotiation of software licensing and services agreements and interoperability licenses and services, including data liquidity/data use contracts.
In addition to her HIPAA and HIT experience, Ms. Pitman advises executive management teams and provides counsel on health care regulatory matters involved in mergers and acquisitions of healthcare providers and facilities, and technology, revenue cycle management and healthcare management services companies.
- Served as special healthcare regulatory counsel to Accel-KKR in its investment in Sandata Technologies, the leading provider of Electronic Visit Verification and home health technology solutions
- Served as healthcare regulatory and financial regulatory special counsel to CompuGroup Medical in the acquisition of eMDs, Inc., a provider of healthcare information systems and revenue cycle management services
- Represented a cancer center in developing a response related to a HIPAA breach
- Assisted a dental company with response strategy and actions in a data breach involving a former employee
- Advised HCA Healthcare, Inc. in the acquisition of outstanding interests in 18 CareSpot urgent care facilities in Tennessee and Missouri
- Served as special healthcare regulatory counsel to HCA Healthcare, Inc. in its $1.5 billion acquisition of North Carolina-based Mission Health
- Advised the HealthCare Authority of the City of Cullman in establishing a Hospital Quality and Efficiency Program (HQEP) with its medical staff
- Negotiated the sale of a number of hospitals for Promise Healthcare and confirmed a plan of liquidation with significant recoveries for unsecured creditors
- Represented Audax in its acquisition of South Florida ENT Associates
- Served as special healthcare regulatory counsel to Brentwood Associates in its acquisition of MD Now Urgent Care
- Served as lead transaction and healthcare regulatory counsel to Gastro Health in the acquisition of Digestive Disease Associates, a leading gastroenterology practice serving the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia area
- Served as transaction and healthcare regulatory counsel to a private equity-backed gastroenterology group in its acquisition of an Alabama-based gastroenterology practice, adding 20 board-certified gastroenterologists and 17 advanced practitioners
- Represented Hildred Capital Partners in the majority recapitalization of DermCare Management
- Represented Hygia Health Services, a single-use medical device reprocessor, in its acquisition by Stryker
- Represented Tru Family Dental in its acquisition by Heartland Dental and assisted with regulatory compliance and corporate matters
- Represented Mid-Atlantic Dental Partners in its acquisition of DentalOne Partners and assisted with regulatory compliance and corporate matters related to the transaction
- Served as transaction and healthcare regulatory counsel to a private equity-backed gastroenterology in its acquisition of a similar practice based in Seattle
- Represented Physical Rehabilitation Network in its equity interest sale by Silver Oak Services Partners to Gryphon Investors
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D.
- The University of Alabama, B.S., Accounting
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Alabama Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section and Business Law Section
- Medical Properties Trust, Board of Directors
- Junior League of Birmingham, Sustainer
- One Place Metro Alabama Family Justice Center, Board of Directors
- STAIR of Birmingham, Board of Directors
- United Way of Central Alabama
- Canterbury United Methodist Church
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Health Care Law, 2023