Alejandro A. Sánchez Mújica A.
Alejandro A. Sánchez Mújica is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Monterrey office. With more than 18 years of experience working in various sectors, Mr. Sánchez Mújica focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), finance and intellectual property (IP).
Mr. Sánchez Mújica has broad experience representing national and international companies in domestic and cross-border transactions, including advising on the structuring and execution of joint ventures, infrastructure projects, finance, structured finance, asset-backed financing, real estate financing, corporate financing and project finance, as well as in structuring and implementing complex collateral packages, public and private M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions across varied sectors.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Sánchez Mújica teaches a class on IP at Monterrey's Facultad Libre de Derecho.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Sánchez Mújica worked as a foreign associate in the Dallas office of an international law firm. He also served as a secondee at a multinational mining, metals and petroleum company in its Houston office.
- Defended a biotech company engaged in the design of alternative fuels in alleged destruction of intellectual property (IP)
- Counseled a prominent multinational company on creating a strategy to develop and leverage the value of its technology and other IP assets in the agrobiotechnology, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, agribusiness and pharmochemical industries
- Advised in the planning, design, licensing, negotiation and litigation in contentious proceedings regarding IP assets for biotech and agricultural companies in Mexico, as well as handled similar operations for various biotech joint ventures
- Counseled a multinational bank regarding its master data center agreements, data privacy provisions, cybersecurity and related documentation
- Represented a foreign agent of a bank syndicate in the out-of-court restructuring involving debt of MX$3.1 billion
- Represented one of the main investors of a real estate developer, with equity participation of approximately MX$1.4 billion, in its restructuring and initial public offering (IPO) in the Mexican Stock Exchange
- Represented a Mexican cattle and meat packaging company preparing a Concurso proceeding
- Advised in the out-of-court restructurings with creditors regarding a debt exchange offering in the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) worth $350 million and coordinated the establishment of the collateral and the issuance of new bonds in Mexico and the U.S. for a subsidiary of a Mexican telecom company
- Advise a Singapore corporation in regards with the potential bankruptcy of its main Mexican client
- Represented a wind farm in Phase 1 of a 1,000 megawatt (MW) project in the acquisition of wind turbines and the negotiation of full-service agreements for a project in Parras, Coahuila, Mexico
- Advised in the elaboration of the power and ancillary products purchase agreements for a renewable energy company under Mexico's Electric Industry Law for qualified suppliers and qualified users operating in the wholesale electricity market
- Counsel to a solar energy developer in the development and permitting of distributed solar projects in rural areas
- Served as counsel to a Mexican state for financing of one of the largest solar power plants to be built in Latin America
- Represented an investment banking division in structured financing for the purchase and sale of foreign currency
- Represented a telecommunications company in the securitization of its accounts receivable in the Mexican Stock Exchange
- Advised in the design of a financial structure by which a U.S. entity can provide financing to agricultural product growers and producers in Mexico
- Advised a municipality in the implementation of a public procurement tender for the acquisition of electricity for street lighting
- Advised a municipality in the design of a public procurement process through a public-private partnership for electricity supply
- Advised an offshore service company in financing transactions of more than $500 million for the development, design, construction and/or maintenance of offshore pipeline laying
- Advised one of the world's largest oil field service companies in the execution of an uncommitted receivables purchase agreement of more than $89 million regarding Pemex's accounts receivable
- Advised in the conceptualization and design mechanisms to execute digital loan agreements (local jurisdiction not explicit in their viability), granting employees at certain companies payroll financing options as well as documenting student loans for academic institutions
- Advised a Spanish renewable company in a project financing of more than $18 million for the development of a solar farm
- Represented a French multinational electric utility company in the drafting, negotiation and instrumentation of structured financing with a binational financing institution as lead arranger for the developing, constructing and operating a legacy 100 megawatt (MW) photovoltaic project in northern Mexico
- Advised a bank in electricity regulatory, banking and public procurement matters for the expansion of a public-private partnership for the electricity supply for the municipality of Aguascalientes
- Advised in the implementation of public-private partnerships for the construction of public services in diverse municipalities in Mexico
- Counseled a Japanese subsidiary in Mexico in the payment and release of collateral secured via project financing for a 485 megawatt (MW) combined cycle power plant
- Represented a biotech and agribusiness company in the design and implementation of joint venture alternatives to attract potential investors to help in the acquisition of real estate assets
- Represented a group of investors in their divestment for a pair of real estate companies
- Advised a real estate developer in the execution of a loan agreement with Banorte for an aggregate amount of up to MX$1.3 billion
- Counseled a real estate developer in securing mezzanine financing with a multi-asset class real estate private equity fund in Mexico for an aggregate amount of up to MX$500 million
- Represented private Mexican and foreign investors in a sale of an office building for MX$205 million
- Counseled in the development of a 2.5 million-square-foot shopping center in Tijuana, Baja California, proposed to be the largest in Mexico in terms of retail space
- Advised a multinational supermarket chain on their expansion plans in Mexico
- Due diligence for purchasing and leasing of real estate property for a portfolio of shopping centers in Mexico
- Advised a Mexican and U.S. customs broker in the potential sale of their business to one of the largest customs brokers in North America
- Represented a major wind developer in the sale of a 120 megawatt (MW) wind farm as well as the structuring of its power sales agreements, lease agreements, right-of-way agreements and shareholders agreements
- Assisted in the sale of onshore U.S. oil and gas assets for a consideration of $10.5 billion
- Assisted in the implementation of a merger to create a top 10 independent oil and gas producer with a market value of $40 billion with growth assets in Australia and the Americas
- Assisted in the $300 million sale onshore U.S. oil and gas assets
- Advised a buyer in the acquisition of the fourth-largest insurance broker's minority interest in a Mexican insurance company; managed FCPA, UK Bribery Act and Mexican competition components
- Advised a renewable energy developer in its joint venture with a leading global renewable energy company to develop renewable energy projects of more than 500 megawatts (MW) in México
- Successfully represented a high-ranking public company officer against a white collar crime accusation for failing to disclose relevant information to the Mexican Stock Exchange
- Advised 132 entities on corporate governance and compliance (including controlled/non-controlled entities and branches) in Anguilla, Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Peru, St. Lucia, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Kingdom and the United States
- Assisted in the proposed $320 million sale of a copper mine in Chile to a private equity manager
- Advised a product engineering services and embedded software firm in a $63 million sale of substantially all of its Mexican and U.S. assets
- Quantic School of Business and Technology, MBA
- Duke University School of Law, LL.M.
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, J.D.
- New York
- Duke Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2020-2021, 2023, 2024; Project Finance and Development, 2023, 2024