Michael K. Stagg
Michael Stagg provides counsel to manufacturers, utilities, and local governments seeking legal representation with regard to environmental, health, and safety matters.
Reliable, friendly, and engaging, Mr. Stagg enjoys the variety of substantive issues that arise in environmental challenges. He assists clients when faced with seemingly impossible permitting, expansion, compliance, or other environmental challenges.
With a specific emphasis on issues related to air, water, greenfield site development, and landfills, Mr. Stagg defends entities against judicial and administrative actions brought by a variety of entities, including:
- Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC)
- S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- citizen and environmental groups
- federal, state and local governmental agencies
Companies also turn to him for counsel regarding compliance with federal, state and local environmental statutes such as the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. He helps develop and implement corporate environmental policies and practices.
Mr. Stagg assists manufacturing companies with the location, development, and expansion of facilities, including identification and acquisition of land; obtaining local land use and zoning approvals; acquiring federal, state, and local environmental and other permits and approvals; hiring contractors and consultants and defending lawsuits and permit appeals arising from the development of the facility.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D.
- The George Washington University Law School, LL.M., Environmental Law, with highest honors
- Colorado State University, B.S., Natural Resources Management
- All U.S. District Courts in Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Tennessee Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Executive Committee and Board of Directors, General Counsel and Member
- The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, Board of Directors
- Boy Scouts of America Troop 31, Eagle Advisor and Member of Troop Committee
- Japan-America Society of Tennessee, Inc., Board of Directors, Former Member
- Historic Nashville, Inc., Board of Directors, Former Member and President
- Historic Rugby, Inc,, Board of Directors, Former Member and Secretary
- Metropolitan Nashville's Board of Property Standards and Appeals, Former Member and Chairman
- State of Tennessee Board of Examiners in Psychology, Former Member
- First Steps, Inc., Board of Directors, Former Member and Vice President
- American Institute of Architects' Nashville Regional/Urban Design Assistance Team, Steering Committee, Former Member
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Environment (Tennessee), 2013-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Environmental Law, 2015-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Lawyer of the Year - Environmental (Nashville), 2021
- Mid-South Super Lawyers guide, 2006, 2009-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated