Jovi Tenev is a partner in the New York office of Holland & Knight and is a member of the Business Law Section. Mr. Tenev previously served on the firm's Directors Committee.
Mr. Tenev has extensive experience representing financial institutions, investment banks, foreign and domestic companies and airlines in a wide variety of transactions. He practices in all corporate and finance areas, including projects in the U.S. and international aerospace, energy, alternative energy, shipping, offshore drilling and rail industries, utilizing capital markets, complex syndicated loan and leveraged and single-investor leasing structures. He has been involved in domestic and foreign mergers and acquisitions, global securities offerings, tender offers, solicitations, portfolio purchases, private equity matters, workouts, bankruptcies, restructurings, enforcement and foreclosures, competition matters and in U.S. regulatory proceedings.
Before joining the firm in 1985, Mr. Tenev served as a trial attorney for the United States Department of Justice, Criminal Division, where he received the Attorney General’s Special Commendation for Outstanding Service, and was on the staff of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Center for Policy Alternatives.
Mr. Tenev has published and addressed industry groups on energy and regulatory and comparative law issues, crossborder aircraft and vessel finance and leasing, alternative finance using derivatives and capital markets, vessel cabotage (the Jones Act), and employing asset‑based financing techniques for the economic development of transportation and satellite communications systems.
While attending law school, Mr. Tenev was a member of the International and Comparative Law Review.
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, A.B., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Norwegian-American Chamber of Commerce, Secretary
- Blue Sky Maritime Coalition, Secretary
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Admiralty and Maritime Law, 2013-2022
- Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Shipping Finance, 2006, 2007, 2011-2021; Shipping: Liberia (Experts Based Abroad), 2013, 2014, 2016-2021; Shipping: USA (Foreign Experts), 2013-2017, 2019-2021
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Banking & Finance: Equipment Finance & Leasing, 2006-2011; Transportation: Shipping: Finance (New York), 2006-2019; Transportation: Shipping/Maritime: Finance, 2020, 2021
- The Legal 500 USA, Asset Finance and Leasing, 2017; Shipping: Finance, 2018-2021
- The Best of the Best USA, Shipping and Maritime, Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, 2019
- Guide to the World's Leading International Trade and Shipping Lawyers, Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, 2015
- Public Debt Deal of the Year award, Marine Money magazine, 2013
- Guide to the World's Leading Shipping and Maritime Lawyers, Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, 2012, 2015, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- New York Super Lawyers magazine - Metro Edition, 2006-2008
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, January 2009