Wells Trompeter helps corporate clients, as well as executives, business owners, and other individuals, in high-stakes government investigations and civil and criminal enforcement actions. She represents a range of companies, including healthcare providers, hospital systems, universities and defense contractors, in disputes with the government, up to and including federal False Claims Act matters.
Clients benefit from Ms. Trompeter's ability to conduct thorough and timely internal investigations in times of crisis and in response to and in anticipation of government allegations. She also provides effective representation of clients in negotiations with United States Attorneys, the Department of Justice, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the Office of the Inspector General, state attorneys general, and other government agencies.
Within the healthcare industry, Ms. Trompeter has helped individuals and entities secure reinstatement in federally-funded healthcare programs following Medicare exclusion, and she has successfully represented providers in matters involving Medicare reimbursement disputes with Medicare Audit Contractors (MAC) and Zone Program Integrity Contractors (ZPIC). Additionally, she defends physicians, nurse practitioners, dentists, and other healthcare professionals in disciplinary and licensure actions before the state health boards, as well as in criminal proceedings relating to their practices. She also represents healthcare clients in Certificate of Need matters involving contested CON applications.
Ms. Trompeter has also assisted manufacturers, energy providers, and other industrial clients in environmental litigation and enforcement actions. Her experience includes class action litigation, products liability litigation, and general commercial and contract-related litigation.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., Concentration in Advocacy and Dispute Resolution, summa cum laude
- College of Charleston, B.A., Political Science and German, magna cum laude
- All U.S. District Courts in Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Girls on the Run of Middle Tennessee, Board Member
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Health Care, 2022-2024