Dental Support Organizations (DSOs)
- Dental clients rely on Holland & Knight's experience and insight with respect to strategic expansion and entry into new markets, states and regions.
- Our Dental and Managed Care team works with numerous private equity firms regarding their investments in dental groups and dental support organizations (DSOs) throughout the country.
- For more than 25 years, our attorneys have actively assisted DSOs, dental groups and their investors with day-to-day compliance, as well as regulatory, employment and transactional matters.
Dental practices and dental support organizations (DSOs) rely on Holland & Knight's extensive experience in the full range of complex corporate and compliance matters.
Our attorneys helped organize and take public one of the first national DSOs and, for more than 25 years, our lawyers have actively assisted DSOs, dental groups and their investors with day-to-day compliance as well as regulatory, employment and transactional matters. The lawyers on our Dental Support Organizations Team have formed and drafted agreements for hundreds of dental groups and DSOs across the United States, and we have vast experience in successfully completing transactions in states with the most challenging laws and regulations in relation to the corporate practice of dentistry.
Dental clients rely on our experience and insight with respect to strategic expansion and entry into new markets, states and regions. We have played key roles in numerous high-profile transactions in the dental space, and our lawyers work with numerous private equity firms on their investments in dental groups and DSOs throughout the country.
Our experience includes:
- forming, structuring and drafting affiliation agreements for numerous DSOs
- serving as lead counsel and regulatory counsel for practice and DSO acquisitions, affiliations and private equity transactions
- assisting with investigations and enforcement actions by the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), state dental boards, state attorneys general, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- providing regulatory compliance counsel related to state corporate practice of dentistry regulations, fee-splitting, advertising, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and compliance plans
- handling commercial litigation as well as contract and non-compete disputes
- providing counsel regarding emerging areas such as teledentistry, mobile dentistry and direct-to-consumer dental services and products
- facilitating commercial financing transactions on behalf of lenders and borrowers
- advising on real estate matters involving the commercial leasing of dental facilities and corporate offices