Patrick J. Duffey
Patrick Duffey is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Tampa office and a member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group. Mr. Duffey concentrates his practice on complex estate planning, trust administration and probate matters.
Custom-Planned Complex Structures for High-Net-Worth Families. Mr. Duffey provides sophisticated tax planning for high-net-worth clients, with a focus on lifetime tax minimization strategies and techniques. More than providing technical advice, he takes a creative approach in crafting integrated, custom estate planning solutions that comprehensively address the unique circumstances faced by his clients.
Complex or Contested Trust and Estate Administration. A significant portion of Mr. Duffey's practice is devoted to representing commercial banking institutions, international charitable organizations and individual fiduciaries in complex or contested estate and trust matters. He has extensive experience in all aspects of estate and trust dispute resolution, including litigating contested proceedings. Mr. Duffey routinely oversees the preparation of a range of federal tax filings, including estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax returns as well as applications for recognition of charitable exemption.
Family Office Services. Mr. Duffey works with families both to create new and restructure existing family offices, including the sometime perilous transition from family business to family office. Often, these family offices are paired with private trust companies created in various jurisdictions across the country. Once the family offices have been established, Mr. Duffey helps families maximize the use of their new wealth preservation vehicles.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Duffey served as fellow at the University of Florida Levin College of Law's Center for Estate Planning.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.S., Psychology, cum laude
- New York
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Executive Council
- Co-Chair, Model & Uniform Acts Committee
- Member, Trust Law, Probate Law & Procedure, Probate & Trust Litigation Committees
- The Florida Bar, Tax Section: Member, Executive Council
- UF Advisor Network (UFAN), Founding Member
- Tampa Connection, Class of 2016-17
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tampa Trusts and Estates Ones to Watch, 2021-2023
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2017-2022
- Florida Legal Elite Up & Comer, Florida Trend magazine, 2017
- Florida Fellows Institute American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Graduate of Class I, 2016