- Holland & Knight’s Multifamily Housing Team represents apartment owners, operators and managers – as well as condominium developers, owners and associations – in the development, financing, acquisition and operation of multifamily properties.
- We help clients build revenue-enhancing opportunities and provide counsel on supplemental income opportunities.
- Our team has extensive experience with compliance issues surrounding fair housing law, accessible design and other regulations and licensing. This enables us to assist multifamily housing owners and operators in protecting their assets.
As demand for multifamily housing projects and mixed-use developments continues to grow across the United States, securing experienced legal counsel to manage risks and help maximize revenues is critical. At Holland & Knight, our Real Estate Law Team has the broad experience and know-how to support all of your multifamily housing concerns.
Offering a Full Scope of Services
Whether you are an owner, operator or manager of apartments, or a developer, owner or association of condominiums, the housing law practice at Holland & Knight is committed to your success. Our comprehensive approach covers a wide range of services:
- For apartment clients: spearheading the acquisition, disposition and financing of individual properties and portfolios of apartments; managing design and property operations issues; developing revenue enhancement opportunities; and managing fair housing compliance matters
- For condominium clients: preparing declarations, bylaws, registrations, public offering statements and sales contracts; negotiating documents and processing plats and plans with governmental agencies; participating in the organization of condominium associations; and representing developers in litigation
Crafting Revenue Enhancement Opportunities
Today more than ever, multifamily housing developers, owners and management companies are faced with numerous opportunities to increase property revenues. Our team of dedicated multifamily housing attorneys works with you to manage and build earnings. We offer guidance on supplemental income opportunities such as building and operating – or partnering with suppliers for – in-demand telecommunications and cable services. And we assist in the development of "standard contracts" or "master" contract terms for vendor agreements that help control operating costs.
Minimizing Risk Through Compliance
Solid counsel on policies and compliance issues surrounding fair housing law, accessible design, and other regulations and licensing allows multifamily housing owners and operators to protect their assets. Our attorneys have represented both national and regional owners and developers in defending against claims brought by the U. S. Department of Justice and national advocacy groups alleging disability design and construction deficiencies under the Fair Housing Act (FHA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). We offer:
- support for compliance with the FHA, the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and state and local fair housing laws
- representation before federal, state and local administrative agencies, and federal and state courts on complex fair housing and disability claims
- guidance on state licensing and regulatory compliance issues, as well as assistance in responding to related state investigations
- counsel on lead-based paint liability issues, including potential liability of third parties and current regulatory requirements under EPA and HUD rules
Providing Comprehensive Industry Experience
We draw from a broad base of industry knowledge to respond to your multifamily housing matters. Our team assists clients in all phases of domestic and international construction and design projects. We also have a thorough understanding of development issues related to affordable multifamily housing, and advise clients in this area as well.