Gabriel Caballero Jr.
Gabriel Caballero is a partner in Holland & Knight's Miami office and member of the firm's Financial Services practice group. Mr. Caballero concentrates his practice on the representation of domestic and multinational organizations (including banks, broker dealers, money services businesses, other financial institutions, investment companies, fund managers and private equity groups) on a broad range of business, licensing, regulatory and compliance matters. Prior to joining the firm, he served as an associate general counsel for the U.S. private banking subsidiary of one of the world's largest banks (as measured by market capitalization).
He regularly advises clients on issues relating to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), anti-money laundering, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), financial privacy, consumer protection, virtual/digital currencies (including Bitcoin), and enforcement actions by various federal and state regulatory authorities (e.g., the Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC, CFPB, OFAC, FINRA, SEC and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation). Mr. Caballero has also counseled lenders and borrowers on issues relating to commercial lending, private banking, secured transactions, creditors' rights, letters of credit and negotiable instruments.
- University of Florida, Warrington College of Business Administration, MBA
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D.
- Florida International University, B.B.A., Finance
- District of Columbia
- New York
- American Bar Association, Banking Law Committee, 2006-Present
- Florida International Bankers Association, Legal and Regulatory Affairs Committee; BSA/AML Compliance Officers Committee; Operations Committee, Member, 2006-Present
- South Florida Banking Institute, Member, 2009-Present
- Florida Bankers Association, Member, 2009-Present
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member, 2003-Present
- Belen Alumni Lawyers Section, Member, 2008-Present
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Banking & Finance: Regulatory, 2020
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida Award, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2011-2016