Ed Callaway counsels companies on the regulatory demands and details that impact commercial development projects, acquisitions, and day-to-day operations in a wide range of industries. Clients appreciate Mr. Callaway's professional and personal curiosity and his willingness to get his hands dirty - literally - when making on-site visits to better understand their operations.
Mr. Callaway has provided enforcement defense and compliance advice to the largest solid waste disposal companies in the U.S., and has advised some of Tennessee's largest hazardous waste treatment facilities regarding permitting issues and matters involving site contamination and remediation.
He has assisted investors, developers and banks navigating Tennessee's brownfield redevelopment program, facilitating dozens of the state's landmark projects including HCA's headquarters, River North and Hill Center Sylvan Heights.
Mr. Callaway also frequently serves as environmental counsel, performing critical due diligence assessments for clients involved in mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures in the healthcare, wireless communications, and other industries.
He has successfully resolved environmental compliance matters associated with mining and industrial operations and commercial real estate development projects throughout the Southeast, including local, state, and federal permitting as well as other issues that can delay or derail projects, including:
- protection of endangered species
- wetlands preservation
- site contamination
- Vermont Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Dartmouth College, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- Nashville Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Member and Former Chair
- Tennessee Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Member and Former Chair
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources
- Solid Waste Association of North America, Former Board Member, Volunteer Section
- American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee, Former Program Vice Chair
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Environmental Law (Tennessee), 2012-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Environmental Law, 2012-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, 2023
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2015, 2017-2020, 2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated