Anthony "Tony" Mulrain is a corporate and intellectual property attorney in Holland & Knight's New York and Atlanta offices and the co-chair of the firm's Sports Law Practice, as well as its Entertainment Law Practice. Mr. Mulrain has more than 20 years of experience with transactional matters and litigation within the sports and entertainment industries. He is a much sought-after resource for creatives, talent, production companies, studios, networks, executives, athletes, agencies, teams, leagues and companies within those industries.
Mr. Mulrain's work also includes representing actors, writers, producers and directors in transactions production companies, studios and networks. In addition to traditional entertainment representation, Mr. Mulrain's practice encompasses representing entertainment clients in a broad range of other business pursuits that are unrelated to the entertainment industry. He has also handled entertainment matters for many of the nation's most high-profile motion picture and television production companies, studios and networks, as well as video gaming concerns.
After establishing himself as an entertainment attorney, Mr. Mulrain expanded his practice to include sports law. He has extensive experience advising and counseling professional sports agencies, teams, sports leagues, governing bodies and boxing promoters, as well as regularly representing players in the National Basketball Association (NBA), National Football League (NFL) and Major League Baseball (MLB), including seven players who have been the No. 1 overall pick in their respective drafts. His work for athletes also encompasses representing them in the agent selection process, player-agent fee disputes, traditional and equitized endorsement and image licensing agreements, marketing representation agreements, intellectual property portfolio management and civil litigation throughout the country. He is also called on to serve as general counsel to professional athletes, guiding them through a variety of sophisticated transactions, including the acquisition of an interest in television streaming networks, the purchase of national television affiliates, formation of marketing enterprises, structuring of wine companies and development of a number of esports teams. World champion prizefighters have also sought his counsel on business opportunities.
In addition to his work in the sports and entertainment sectors, Mr. Mulrain's business acumen and problem-solving abilities have made him a sought-after resource across many industries. As a result, he is a trusted adviser to a number of enterprises in the food and beverage, healthcare, life sciences, technology, private equity and venture capital spaces.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Mulrain was co-chair of the sports and entertainment practice for a large U.S. law firm in its New York office. In addition, he previously was founding and managing partner of the Atlanta office for a national law firm.
- Represent an NFL legend in negotiating life rights agreement with a television producer
- Represented a production company in evaluating whether certain investigative footage may be used for a documentary without governmental approval
- Represented an internationally recognized video game company in navigating agreements with engineering consultants engaged to evolve the next iteration of one of the world's most prominent video games
- Lead counsel on launch of Overtime Elite, a groundbreaking new professional basketball league, which included employment matters, sports and entertainment services, healthcare regulatory advice, licensing issues and the creation of the league's Uniform Players Agreement, Player Conduct Policy, Sponsorship and Endorsement protocols, health privacy and data procedures, and the Group Licensing Agreements
- Counseled and advised numerous amateur track and field athletes on whether to become professionals and negotiated groundbreaking endorsement agreements with apparel companies
- Defended a high-profile actress in an Illinois lawsuit brought by the ex-wife of her husband, a professional basketball player, alleging that she had engaged in inappropriate conduct in the presence of her husband's children
- Represented a professional basketball player in securing an injunction against his reality star ex-girlfriend in Florida, which enjoined her from mentioning his name in the media
- Represented a television network in a copyright infringement case regarding a reality television show
- Represented boxing promoters in negotiating promotional, match, television production and licensing agreements, and in securing required approvals from sanctioning bodies and state commissioners
- Represented sports agencies and professional athletes in fee dispute arbitrations – American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) and National Basketball Players Association (NBPA)
- Represented a professional basketball player in a California lawsuit that resulted in his ex-girlfriend being unable to leverage his brand for purposes of a reality television show
- Rutgers Law School, J.D.
- Iona College, B.B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- National Black Lawyers, 2020-Present; Top 100 List, 2021
- The Sports Lawyers Association (SLA), 2017-Present
- Law360 Media & Entertainment Editorial Advisory Board, Board Member
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA), Member, 2003-Present, Board of Directors, 2004-2010, 2024
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association, Board Member, 1997-2001
- New York Super Lawyers magazine, Entertainment & Sports, 2022, 2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Nationwide – Sports Law, 2022, 2023; Nationwide – Sports Law: Esports, 2022, 2023
- Sports Business Journal, Power Players: Outside Counsel, 2021
- The National Law Journal, Sports & Entertainment Trailblazers List, 2020
- Who's Who Legal, Sports and Entertainment, 2007-2009, 2015
- Rolling Out, 100 Most Influential People in Entertainment, 2008
- The Network Journal, Top 40 Under Forty Achievement Award, 2004