Brian P. Murray
Brian P. Murray is a partner in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Group. Mr. Murray practices in the areas of intellectual property and technology-driven litigation, including cases arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act, as well as supporting transactions involving complex intellectual properties issues.
Mr. Murray has represented clients in patent litigation concerning various technological fields, including biotechnology/biosynthesis, pharmaceuticals, including Hatch-Waxman patent litigation, telecommunications and LED technology.
Specific to pharmaceuticals, Mr. Murray has been integral in litigations concerning technological issues such as crystal forms (polymorphs), methods of treatment, molecules and chemical genus, integrated medical devices such as metered dose inhalers, and various formulations, including solid oral dosage forms, oral liquid dosage forms, injectables and transdermal/buccal dosage forms.
Mr. Murray has experience in pre-suit strategy, utilizing his background in pharmaceutical R&D to assist clients in product selection and portfolio management, product and formulation development, proposed labeling language, and litigation and regulatory strategies. Mr. Murray's counseling extends to formulation development, product selection and regulatory issues before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), such as Citizen's Petitions, responses to FDA complete response letters pertaining to pending ANDA filings and controlled correspondence to FDA concerning possible generic exclusivity forfeiture.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Murray supports transactions involving the licensing or transfer or intellectual property. Mr. Murray has experience drafting complex licensing arrangements for patents, trade secrets and know-how, and trademarks in support of larger transactions.
Mr. Murray also devotes time to pro bono practice, assisting a family of Afghan refugees seek asylum in the United States.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Murray worked as a formulation development scientist at Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories and further gained experience in active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) and custom intermediate synthesis development at Fabbrica Italiana Sintetici S.p.A.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., Certificate in Intellectual Property Law
- University of Michigan, B.S.E., Chemical Engineering
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- DePaul Journal of Art, Technology & Intellectual Property Law, Staff Writer, 2009-2010
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Chicago Intellectual Property Law Ones to Watch, 2023; Intellectual Property Law, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2024
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Torts, DePaul University College of Law, 2008
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Biotechnology Patent Strategies, DePaul University College of Law, 2010