Selene Espinosa is a senior counsel in Holland & Knight's Mexico City office, where she focuses her practice on Mexican corporate service and securities law. Ms. Espinosa has relevant experience on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), project finance, international joint ventures, cross-border transactions, infrastructure, mining and real estate matters.
Ms. Espinosa represents lenders, corporate borrowers, project sponsors and developers in domestic and cross-border financing transactions. In addition, Ms. Espinosa has advised lenders and borrowers in debt restructurings, led due diligence proceedings for corporate acquisitions and credit agreements, and participated in international acquisitions of shares and assets. She also has advised clients in corporate governance, and foreign investment matters across a variety of industries such as mining, aviation, insurance, construction, pharmaceuticals, retail and automotive.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Espinosa trained at General Electric in the commercial finance department, where she was involved in the implementation of credit agreements for GE as lender, and worked at two international law firms and a Mexico City law firm for several years.
- Advised a U.S. company in its US$114 million acquisition of a listed Canadian company, a global solutions provider offering design, development, manufacturing, and delivery of lighting and electronic products and full service solutions to the automotive and commercial vehicle markets
- Advised the second largest mobile operator in Mexico on the restructuring, sale and lease of assets and shares of its five Mexican subsidiaries to different purchasers
- Advised a French energy group in the US$3.2 billion sale of specialty chemical affiliate
- Acted as lead counsel in the due diligence and the acquisition of a subsidiary company of a U.S. healthcare company and of a resin plant in Brazil
- Represented a Colombian airline in the acquisition of a cargo airline
- Advised a Mexican infrastructure development bank in connection with its US$178 million loan agreement provided to a Mexican company for the financing of a public contract relating to loss reduction work with a total capacity of 309,493MVA of transformation and the construction of 870.17 Km-C line with a voltage of 23kV and removal, supply, and installation of 336,935 AMI meters; and with the value added tax loan agreement for the project
- Advised a lending bank in the restructuring of a US$310 million loan to a private entity for a gas project in Mexico and with the value added tax loan agreement for the project
- Advised a lending bank in a loan agreement in the amount of 2 billion Mexican pesos to a listed company for the prepayment of certain international notes and the company growth plans
- Advised a Mexican infrastructure development bank in connection with a loan to be granted to a Mexican group for a wind project
- Advised foreign funds and banks acting as creditors in structuring packages for guarantees in securing credit agreements
- Implemented financing structures for mining projects among Canadian mining companies that have a presence in Mexico
- Representing the National Development Bank in Mexico (Bancomext) in the implementation of a financing structure for a mining project related to the exploitation of silver and gold in Sinaloa, Mexico
- Led the negotiation of a joint venture (JV) agreement and formation of a JV company formed by a Canadian mining company and Mexican mining conglomerate for the exploration of a mine located in Durango, Mexico
- Represented an international mining fund in the financing of a mining tailing project in Chihuahua, Mexico
- Negotiated a joint venture between two Canadian mining companies for the exploitation of silver mine in Mexico, with a committed investment of more than US$16 million
- Participated in a major infrastructure project for the Mexican government and drafted and negotiated public infrastructure and service agreements for public entities and governmental bodies
- Advised the Mexican government in the negotiation and structuring of the US$130 million public agreement for the loading, unloading and transportation of heavy stone for the construction of runways
- Advised a U.S. company on a renewable development project in Mexico that included the sale of a Mexican subsidiary to a U.S. company
- Led the corporate restructuring of the Mexican subsidiaries of a leading American group and negotiated with the creditor's counsel the terms of the restructure
- Represented a multinational company in multiple land acquisitions and land leases throughout Mexico involving large retail outlets
- Represented a multinational company on anticorruption compliance policy and procedures and its implementation in Latin America
- Negotiated a joint venture between two Canadian mining companies for the exploitation of silver mine in Mexico with a committed investment of more than US$16 million
- Negotiated with the largest retail stores in Mexico on the introduction and marketing of extended warranty products in their stores provided by a Mexican subsidiary of an American company
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, LL.M.
- Universidad Panamericana, J.D.
- Mexican Bar Association
- Abogadas MX
- Best Lawyers in Mexico, 2020, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Banking and Finance, Real Estate, Projects and Infrastructure, 2019
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Projects and Infrastructure, Next Generation Lawyers, 2017, 2018