Andy Kriha is a climate and energy attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office and a member of the firm's Public Policy & Regulation Group. Mr. Kriha advises clients on a wide variety of energy and decarbonization matters.
Mr. Kriha helps clients navigate the quickly changing decarbonization landscape by utilizing his legal and engineering experience to develop comprehensive strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that leverage government support and comply with climate regulations. He advises clients on issues related to compliance carbon markets, including the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), state low carbon fuel standards (LCFS) and state and regional cap-and-trade programs. Mr. Kriha also advises clients on participation in voluntary greenhouse gas offset markets, including by helping clients generate or purchase high-quality offsets that represent actual emissions reductions. He advises clients on matters related to new and emerging voluntary low-carbon products such as responsibly sourced gas (RSG). He aids clients in achieving net-zero emissions and carbon-neutrality goals by identifying and helping utilize applicable government programs and incentives as well as by developing strategies to minimize uncertainty and mitigate greenwashing risks. Mr. Kriha is a founding member of Holland & Knight's Greenwashing Mitigation Team.
In addition, Mr. Kriha advises parties involved in every facet of the nuclear energy industry. He has advised clients on issues related to the international trade of uranium, Part 110 and Part 810 export controls, small modular and advanced reactor development, the Price-Anderson Act and reactor decommissioning. He also has represented clients in enforcement matters related to nuclear safety and licensing issues.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Kriha was an attorney for a global law firm in its Washington, D.C., office. He also previously served as a legal intern at the U.S. Department of the Interior, where he worked primarily on offshore energy matters. Additionally, Mr. Kriha worked for an investor-owned utility for several years as a nuclear engineer.
- Advised a liquefied natural gas (LNG) exporter on pathways to achieving net-zero LNG product
- Negotiated several agreements for the purchase and sale of renewable natural gas (RNG) and responsibly sourced gas (RSG) along with associated environmental attributes
- Advised companies of varying size in different industries on crafting appropriate claims for low-carbon products to mitigate greenwashing risks
- Represented clients in a variety of industries in the purchase of high-quality carbon offsets to offer carbon-neutral products and services to customers
- Represented renewable fuel producers in front of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) relating to participation in the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS)
- Advised investment funds on participation in state and regional cap-and-trade programs, including compliance with applicable regulations
- Represented a provider of nuclear power plant testing services in Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) investigation-related safety evaluations and disclosures
- Represented a radioactive materials licensee in an NRC investigation related to improper transfer of license following a merger
- Represented a multinational company in self-disclosure to the NRC of failure to report certain isotope exports
- Advised an investor in an advanced reactor startup company on regulatory timelines and development process
- Advised a minority owner of a commercial reactor on issues related to disposition of its decommissioning fund following financial insolvency of the majority owner
- Advised an equipment manufacturer on Price-Anderson Act liability scheme relating to sale of equipment to commercial nuclear power plants
- Advised multiple clients on the process for transferring materials licenses prior to direct or indirect change of control
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Purdue University, B.S., Nuclear Engineering
- District of Columbia
- Virginia Environmental Law Journal, Business Director, 2018-2020