Rodolfo Rueda is an international business attorney in Holland & Knight's Mexico City and Houston offices. Mr. Rueda focuses on regulatory and government affairs, as well as cross-border natural resources and energy transactions.
Mr. Rueda represents clients identifying important regulatory considerations, develops strategies to address regulatory issues and helps implement strategies to achieve clients' business goals. He has extensive experience in legislative activity, lobbying and governmental affairs.
Mr. Rueda also handles transactions involving projects in Latin America, with a particular emphasis on all facets of oil and gas (upstream, midstream and downstream), power and renewable energy projects. He advises clients on international and cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate transactions, energy infrastructure project development, government procurement, public policy, compliance, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and dispute resolution in the energy sector.
Mr. Rueda is also licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Texas.
- Provided advice, support and closed the lease management of offshore oil rigs of Norway Corporation for an approximate value of $290 million
- Structured, advised and closed an approximately $82 million share purchase and sale agreement between Iberdrola and a subsidiary of Mitsui & Co., Ltd., with respect to the participation of the former in 13.25 percent of Gas Natural Mexico
- Provided the accompaniment to a $1.77 billion initial public offering (IPO) of Fresnillo PLC before the London Stock Exchange
- Provided advice, structuring, representation and accompaniment of Iberdrola's expansion plan in Mexico since 2012, with an investment of approximately $5 billion, of which $3.5 billion have been allocated to projects initiated after the approval of the energy reform in 2013
- Representation of winning bidders in the accompaniment and structuring of participation in various international public tenders, convened by Mexico's Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) under the independent electricity production scheme
- Handled the project finance and closing of credit granted by Nacional Financiera, S.N.C. in the Pier II project, Puebla 66 megawatt (MW), with an approximate value of $60 million
- Handled the merger and acquisition (M&A) of BNS wind farm with Oaxaca 70 MW
- Oversaw the construction and commissioning of four renewable 325 MW wind power plants in the states of Puebla and Guanajuato, and 275 MW photovoltaic plants in San Luis de Potosí and Sonora
- Oversaw the public-private investment of approximately 7 billion pesos for the Aqueduct El Realito; project was honored by Euromoney as the 2011 Water Deal of the Year
- Strathclyde University Business School, M.S., Business Administration
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas, M.A., Business Administration, Specialization in Energy and Business
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, Post-Graduate Degree, Finance
- Universidad Panamericana, Post-Graduate Degree, Business Law
- Universidad Anáhuac, LL.B.
- Comisión Nacional de Hidrocarburos (CNH), Advisor to the Advisory Council, 2020-2023
- Asociación Mexicana de Energía Eólica (AMDEE), Secretary, 2021-2022
- Institute of Energy Law's Leadership Class, 2020-2021
- Consultant Water Council (Consejo Consultivo del Agua), Board Member, 2018-2021
- Fomento Mexicano para el Desarrollo Sustemtable, A.C., Board of Trustees Chairman, 2015-2020
- Ministry of Natural Resources of the Mexican Government, Board Member, 2016-2018
- World Energy Council (UK)
- Royal Academy of Engineering (UK)
- Stand-out Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2022
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Next Generation Partner, Energy and Natural Resources, Projects and Infrastructure, 2021, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Natural Resources Law, 2020-2022
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Lawyer of the Year, Natural Resources Law, 2022
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2021
- Top 100 Energy Leaders in Mexico, Energy and Petroleum Magazine, 2020
- Latin America Renewable Energy Attorney of the Year, Iberian Lawyer, 2019