- In the environmental field, governments serve as regulators, customers and competitors. We understand these multifaceted roles, and we use our presence on Capitol Hill and in state capitals to serve as a forceful advocate.
- Our environmental advocates – whose prior experience ranges from positions within federal and state governments, the Department of Justice and the EPA to general counsel at Fortune 500 companies – work diligently on behalf of your specific federal and state environmental goals.
- We fully engage all resources within Holland & Knight to ensure seasoned, creative and timely service to our public policy clients – enabling us to provide a complete analysis of the legal, political, regulatory, business and media components surrounding the issues that are most important to you.
- Our multidisciplinary Environmental Team leverages years of experience to help clients attain and maintain regulatory compliance, and we stand ready to mount an aggressive defense in the event of an enforcement action.
Federal and State Environmental Advocacy
Holland & Knight attorneys advocate on behalf of your specific federal and state environmental goals. In the environmental field, governments serve as regulators, customers and competitors. We understand these multifaceted governmental roles and use our presence on Capitol Hill and in state capitals to serve as a forceful advocate.
In addition, we have played a role in shaping environmental legislation such as Superfund reauthorization, Water Resources Development Act reauthorization, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and others. Our services include preparing you to testify before legislators, briefing elected officials on key matters, drafting legislation and report language and arranging opportunities for you to meet face-to-face with key officials and staff. These and other activities keep your positions on critical environmental issues front and center before state and federal policymakers.
For example, we have:
- succeeded in obtaining millions of dollars in funding for city and county governments to pay for flood control projects, port dredging projects, stormwater and sewage treatment projects, reclaimed water projects and environmental research projects
- worked on behalf of the chemical industry to ensure balanced and safe federal environmental laws in the areas of TSCA, FIFRA, CWA and Superfund
- succeeded in obtaining millions of dollars for a national research consortium made up of 30 universities and 30 companies which do groundbreaking renewable energy and environmental research
- succeeded in obtaining $12 million for the cleanup and redevelopment of an abandoned industrial site
- worked with our in-house strategic communications team and with our corporate and governmental clients during times of crisis on environmental issues
- worked with an industry trade association to secure millions of dollars to operate an education program that would assist communities that rely on wells for the delivery of potable water to practice the same comprehensive safety and operation services traditionally associated with larger water systems