Alan Granwell is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office with 50 years of experience representing multinational and globally oriented high-net-worth clients in a wide variety of international tax planning, transfer pricing and competent authority matters. In his long and wide-ranging career, Mr. Granwell has had the opportunity and privilege to work both in the public and the private sector.
In recent years, Mr. Granwell also has advised clients on a number of tax transparency initiatives, including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, Common Reporting Standard, U.S. Department of Justice Swiss Bank Program and, more recently, the U.S. Corporate Transparency Act.
In the early 1980s, Mr. Granwell was the International Tax Counsel and Director in the Office of International Tax Affairs at the U.S. Department of the Treasury. In that capacity, Mr. Granwell was the senior international tax adviser at the Treasury Department and was responsible for advising the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy on legislation, regulatory and administrative matters involving international taxation and directing the U.S. tax treaty program.
Mr. Granwell began his career working at Wall Street law firms. He then moved to Washington, D.C., to accept his government appointment to work for the Treasury Department. Thereafter, he returned to private practice in Washington, D.C. Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Granwell was a tax attorney for a boutique international tax law firm.
Mr. Granwell is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel and a well-known, frequent commentator and lecturer on international tax matters. He has authored articles for publications both in the United States and abroad. He has made presentations for the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, the International Bar Association, the International Fiscal Association, the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and other organizations in numerous countries around the world. Mr. Granwell also is an active member of the STEP and is a former chair of the Mid Atlantic Branch, the current Director of Programs for the Mid Atlantic Branch and a frequent contributor to STEP USA Alerts.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Middlebury College, A.B.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Tribunal Fiscal de Estados Unidos
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Mid-Atlantic Branch, Vice-Chair: Programs
- International Bar Association, Taxation Section (Taxes and Individual Tax and Private Client)
- International Fiscal Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Tax Section
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section, Nonresident Member
- International Tax and Finance Forum, A Private Tax Discussion Group (Washington, D.C.)
- Tax Review, A Private Tax Discussion Group (New York, N.Y.), Founding Member
- Washington International Tax Study Group (Washington, D.C.), A Private Tax Discussion Group
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 2006-2023
- Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers magazine, 2018