Shannon Britton Hartsfield
Shannon B. Hartsfield is a health lawyer and the executive partner of Holland & Knight's Tallahassee office. She focuses her practice on corporate compliance, particularly in the regulatory and data privacy areas. She is Board Certified in Health Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education. She advises clients on state and federal matters, including healthcare compliance programs, internal investigations, HIPAA and data privacy, cybersecurity, data breaches, cyber liability and reducing risk, consumer protection relating to privacy, patient engagement, behavioral health, informed consent, genetic testing, long-term care, telemedicine, health technology, fraud and abuse, licensure, Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), electronic medical records and prescription drug wholesaling.
Ms. Hartsfield's clients include health plans and insurers, medical technology companies, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, nursing homes, hospitals and large clinics, pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors, dental suppliers, veterinary supply wholesalers, pharmacies, tissue banks, medical and benefit management companies, religious institutions and data analytics companies, among others.
In addition, Ms. Hartsfield has in-depth experience advising clients with internal investigations and responding to government inquiries in the healthcare area, particular with respect to data privacy and security, and pharmaceutical supply chain compliance. She also advises clients with respect to security breach response and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' (HHS) Office for Civil Rights (OCR) investigations, as well as internal investigations regarding data use, and compliance with regulations regarding pharmaceutical wholesaling.
Ms. Hartsfield is a past chair of the American Bar Association (ABA) Health Law Section's eHealth, Privacy & Security Interest Group. She is also the co-author of HIPAA: A Practical Guide to the Privacy and Security of Health Data, Second Edition, in association with the ABA.
Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide has recognized Ms. Hartsfield since 2006. Here are some excerpts from past editions:
- "Shannon Hartsfield is very knowledgeable on HIPAA issues." Another interview added: "Shannon is extremely responsive, thoughtful and helpful in navigating state regulatory issues." Others noted her "level of expertise and responsiveness is outstanding."
- "She is an expert in a unique area. She's nationally noted, and we're very happy with her practical guidance. She has her finger on the pulse." Another interviewee added: "She's amazingly responsive and quick to reply."
- "Sources say she 'is an indisputable expert in HIPAA with great instincts for difficult questions.'"
- "According to impressed clients, Shannon is 'an expert on privacy matters' across the general healthcare industry. An interviewee adds: 'She really understands healthcare and is one of the most thorough people I have ever met. She is fabulous; she does everything so exceptionally well.' Others say: 'She's very responsive, gives great guidance and is my go-to person for anything that relates to privacy or security matters in HIPAA regulations.'"
- "Interviewees hold Shannon Hartsfield Salimone in high esteem as a 'deal-maker who never creates unnecessary impediments,' while noting that she 'has great depth of expertise and is an invaluable resource.' She has notable experience in advising on data privacy issues."
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A., English and Communication
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Theatre Tallahassee
- American Bar Association Health Law Section, eHealth, Privacy and Security Interest Group, Former Chair
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Tallahassee Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Insurance Law, Health Care Law, 2005-2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Healthcare: Service Providers, 2023
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Healthcare, 2006-2023
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2021
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, 2009, 2011
- Legal Media Group Guide to the Leading US Healthcare Lawyers, 2006
- Rising Star, Holland & Knight, 2003
- Volunteer of the Year, Florida's Second Judicial Circuit Family Law Guardian Ad Litem Program, 2001
- Outstanding Young Healthcare Lawyer, Nightingale's Healthcare News, 2003
- Law Review
- Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law
- Order of the Coif
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Phi Beta Kappa