Shannon Britton Hartsfield
Shannon B. Hartsfield is a health lawyer and the executive partner of Holland & Knight's Tallahassee office. She focuses her practice on corporate compliance, particularly in the regulatory and data privacy areas. She is Board Certified in Health Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education. She advises clients on state and federal matters, including healthcare compliance programs, internal investigations, HIPAA and data privacy, cybersecurity, data breaches, cyber liability and reducing risk, consumer protection relating to privacy, patient engagement, informed consent, genetic testing, long-term care, telemedicine, health technology, fraud and abuse, licensure, Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), electronic medical records and prescription drug wholesaling.
Ms. Hartsfield's clients include health plans and insurers, medical technology companies, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, nursing homes, hospitals and large clinics, pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors, dental suppliers, veterinary supply wholesalers, pharmacies, tissue banks, medical and benefit management companies, religious institutions and data analytics companies, among others.
Ms. Hartsfield is a past chair of the American Bar Association (ABA) Health Law Section's eHealth, Privacy & Security Interest Group. She is also the co-author of HIPAA: A Practical Guide to the Privacy and Security of Health Data, Second Edition, in association with the ABA.
Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide has recognized Ms. Hartsfield since 2006. Here are some excerpts from past editions:
- From the 2021 guide: "She is an expert in a unique area. She's nationally noted, and we're very happy with her practical guidance. She has her finger on the pulse." Another interviewee added: "She's amazingly responsive and quick to reply."
- From the 2019 guide: "Sources say she 'is an indisputable expert in HIPAA with great instincts for difficult questions.'"
- From the 2018 guide: "According to impressed clients, Shannon is 'an expert on privacy matters' across the general healthcare industry. An interviewee adds: 'She really understands healthcare and is one of the most thorough people I have ever met. She is fabulous; she does everything so exceptionally well.' Others say: 'She's very responsive, gives great guidance and is my go-to person for anything that relates to privacy or security matters in HIPAA regulations.'"
- From the 2016 guide: "Shannon Hartsfield Salimone advises on data privacy law, compliance matters and is regularly called upon to handle internal investigations and fraud and abuse claims. Described as 'brilliant' by clients, she is particularly known for her expertise in the pharmaceuticals industry."
- From the 2015 guide: "Interviewees hold Shannon Hartsfield Salimone in high esteem as a 'deal-maker who never creates unnecessary impediments,' while noting that she 'has great depth of expertise and is an invaluable resource.' She has notable experience in advising on data privacy issues."
- Genetic Testing: advised clients regarding informed consent and privacy requirements relating to DNA and genetic testing
- Internal Investigations: conducted internal investigations relating to regulatory compliance and Medicare conditions of participation
- HIPAA/HITECH: advised healthcare providers and business associates on responding to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights in HIPAA-related investigations
- Corporate Compliance: designed nursing home compliance programs and related documentation; advised numerous clients on regulatory compliance matters, including fraud and abuse
- Long-Term Care: prepared nursing home and assisted living facility admission agreements; conducted compliance training; provided regulatory advice to senior living communities and CCRCs
- Electronic Health Records: advised technology companies, hospitals and large physician organizations on issues related to health information exchange and meaningful use
- Surveys and Inspections: assisted hospitals and nursing homes with drafting plans of correction in response to state and federal statements of deficiencies, including findings of immediate jeopardy and EMTALA allegations
- Tissue Banking: advised tissue banks and hospitals on Florida regulations, including laws relating to donor consents
- Privacy Compliance: assisted healthcare entities in developing HIPAA compliance programs and conducting risk analyses and risk assessments
- Licensure: advised healthcare entities on Florida regulatory and licensure matters involving Florida's Department of Health, Department of Business and Professional Regulation and the Agency for Health Care Administration
- Physician Self-Referral: assisted with a voluntary disclosure related to compliance with federal Stark laws
- Pharmaceutical Regulation: represented pharmaceutical manufacturers and wholesale distributors in connection with compliance issues involving Florida's drugs, devices and cosmetics statutes
- Patient Consents: assisted healthcare providers with drafting patient admissions agreements and consent forms
- Data Privacy and Security: drafted HIPAA policies and procedures, business associate agreements and notices of privacy practices
- Data Breaches: assisted clients in responding to data breaches and security incidents
- Consumer Protection: advised clients in designing consumer-facing privacy documents, including consent forms, Notices of Privacy Practices and similar documents
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A., English and Communication
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Theatre Tallahassee
- American Bar Association Health Law Section, Co-Chair, Health Law & Policy Coordinating Committee, 2020-2021; Vice Chair, Physicians Legal Issues: Healthcare Delivery & Innovations Conference, 2020-2021; Vice Chair, Policy Coordinating Committee, 2017-2019; Council Member, 2013-2016; Programs Executive Committee, Co-Chair, 2012-2013; Vice Chair, 2011-2012; Distance Learning Committee, Co-Chair, 2014-2016; eHealth, Privacy and Security Interest Group, Chair, 2003-2005; Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law Conference Co-Chair, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Health Care Law Committee, Chair, 1999-2001
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee on Specialization, 2018-2021; Coordinating Group on Bioethics and the Law, 2000-2001
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Tallahassee Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Insurance Law, Health Care Law, 2005-2022
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Healthcare, 2006-2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2021
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, 2009, 2011
- Legal Media Group Guide to the Leading US Healthcare Lawyers, 2006
- Rising Star, Holland & Knight, 2003
- Volunteer of the Year, Florida's Second Judicial Circuit Family Law Guardian Ad Litem Program, 2001
- Outstanding Young Healthcare Lawyer, Nightingale's Healthcare News, 2003
- Law Review
- Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law
- Order of the Coif
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Phi Beta Kappa