Jennifer Rangel is a healthcare attorney in Holland & Knight's Austin office. Ms. Rangel focuses her practice on regulatory, transactional and administrative health law for healthcare providers, healthcare industry companies, payers, health plans and managed care organizations on a national basis.
Ms. Rangel has more than 20 years of experience advising clients on a variety of matters, including Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement, compliance, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), data protection, telehealth/telemedicine, health regulatory issues, Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and CMS Innovation Center models, including direct contracting and related matters. She also has experience with fraud and abuse analysis related to the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) and Stark Law issues.
Ms. Rangel further counsels clients on federal and state certification, licensing, corporate practice of medicine, telehealth, nurse practitioner or physician extender scope of practice, Medicare and Medicaid audits and licensure or other enforcement actions. She regularly works with state and federal healthcare regulatory agencies. Ms. Rangel has significant experience representing clients in joint ventures, strategic agreements, and transactions between third-party payers and healthcare providers, including advising on structures in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
In addition, Ms. Rangel works on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) of healthcare entities and has experience assisting healthcare industry clients in regulatory and transactional matters, including healthcare contracting, change of ownership and other licensure and regulatory filings, and representing clients in Medicare and Medicaid audits and appeals.
Ms. Rangel also has substantial experience representing pharmacies, clinics, assisted living facilities and other senior care facilities, durable medical equipment suppliers, hospitals, home health agencies, nursing facilities, physical therapy providers, physicians and other providers and healthcare-related companies on a variety of compliance, licensure, HIPAA, transactional and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, telehealth and regulatory matters. Moreover, she advises clients on HIPAA and has assisted clients in structuring data-sharing arrangements among multiple providers and payers in compliance with HIPAA and applicable state laws.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Rangel helped lead the healthcare group for an international law firm and was located in its Austin office.
During law school, Ms. Rangel was an intern in the Office of the General Counsel for St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston, and for the Honorable Scott A. Brister of the 234th Judicial District Court in Harris County, Texas.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D.
- University of North Texas, B.A., cum laude
- American Bar Association (ABA), Health Law Section
- ABA, Vice Chair, Cancer Legal Advocacy Interest Group, 2020-2021, Past Chair
- ABA, Vice Chair, Washington Health Summit, Planning Committee, 2019 - 2020
- National Registry of Who's Who, Life Member, 2000
- Austin Bar Association, Health Law Section, 1997-Present
- State Bar of Texas, Health Law Section, 1995-Present
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), 1994-Present
- Texas Health Services Authority (THSA), Board of Directors (Governor Appointment), 2011-2017
- University of Texas Health Law Conference, Member, Planning Committee, 2020-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Health Care Law, 2012-2017, 2019-2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Health Care, 2015-2022
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, Health Care, 2005
- Austin Business Journal, Best of Business and Corporate Law, 2004