Eric A. Scalzo
Eric Scalzo represents private equity clients, portfolio companies and founder physicians and dentists in the formation, acquisition, growth and sale of physician group practices and portfolio companies in the practice management space. In the dental support organization space, he has become a go-to attorney for large practice groups and DSOs. Mr. Scalzo presents regularly around the country on legal and regulatory issues affecting DSOs.
Previously, Mr. Scalzo served as Deputy General Counsel and Director of Compliance and Administration at a leading dental support organization providing support and administrative services to nearly 50 affiliated practices across eight states. In this role, he managed day-to-day legal, corporate and compliance issues, including ensuring enterprise-wide compliance with corporate practice laws, HIPAA rules, Medicaid requirements and other state reporting requirements.
He also reviewed employee and independent contractor compensation structures to ensure compliance with state anti-kickback and fee-splitting laws and negotiated administrative service agreement compliance with affiliated dental practice owners. Additionally, Mr. Scalzo assisted in screening potential acquisitions and other growth opportunities for practice owners. He also advised practice owners with regard to state regulatory and licensing board investigations on behalf of dental practices.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Scalzo gained valuable experience as an Associate with Greenberg Traurig where he advised clients on various health care regulatory issues.
- Served as lead counsel to an Arkansas-based dental support organization (DSO) in its sale to a DSO that supports numerous pediatric dental and orthodontic practices
- Advised Light Wave Dental regarding its long-term management arrangement with Triangle Family Dentistry, which created one of the Mid-Atlantic’s fastest growing dental groups
- Advised Light Wave Dental in its partnership with CarolinasDentist, a dental group in North Carolina
- Represented MACC Academy in the formation of Branin Dental Group
- Represented Marquee Dental Partners in its acquisition of two practices—Shabo Smile Dental Studio in Chattanooga, Tenn. and Dr. Jeffrey Weissman Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in the Birmingham, Ala. suburb of Mountain Brook
- Represented Mid-Atlantic Dental Partners in its acquisition of DentalOne Partners and assisted with regulatory compliance and corporate matters related to the transaction
- Represented Pedia, LLC in its sale to Redwood Dental
- Served as lead company counsel to a pediatric dental company based in California in its sale to one of the nation's largest dental providers
- Represented Phelps Gate Partners in its affiliation with Nevada-based Champagne Family Dentistry
- Served as lead counsel to Riccobene Central Services, a North Carolina DSO and dental group, in its recapitalization with The Beekman Group, a New York City‐based private equity firm
- Advised a PE-backed practice management company in its acquisition of an urgent care company that operates seven facilities in upstate New York
- Represented engineering firm Stone & Howorth in its sale to Alfred Benesch, a leading professional services firm based in Nashville, Tenn.
- William & Mary Law School, J.D.
- Siena College, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude
- New York
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Health Care Law, 2022-2023
- Rising Star, Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, 2020-2021