- Holland & Knight’s Korea Practice Team helps Korean multinational companies, financial institutions, government-owned businesses and investment funds to enter and thrive in competitive and highly regulated markets within the United States, Latin America and elsewhere.
- Our long-standing relationships within the Korean business community have helped us to develop a deep understanding of Korean business culture, which in turn helps us to implement our Korean clients’ business objectives.
- With more than 1,600 attorneys in 31 offices, Holland & Knight attorneys practice in jurisdictions critical to Korean clients – centers of manufacturing, global finance and commerce.
Our Korea Team serves the automotive, energy, electronics, transportation, information technology, life sciences, financial services and defense industries. We advise clients in M&A, capital markets, credit facilities, tender offers, strategic alliances, restructurings, intellectual property licensing, litigation and arbitration, real estate and regulatory matters. Members of our Korean Team are fluent in the Korean language. In addition, with more than 170 lawyers fluent in Spanish and with offices in Latin America, Holland & Knight can help Korean businesses penetrate Latin American markets. With lawyers fluent in more than 30 languages, Holland & Knight can help Korean companies nearly anywhere their business needs take them.
How We Can Help
Our Korea Practice Team advises Korean enterprises on transactional, litigation and regulatory matters, including the following:
- mergers and acquisitions: acquiring and divesting businesses and forming strategic alliances in the Americas, ASEAN, Europe, Africa and elsewhere outside Korea
- capital markets: U.S. and overseas capital raising, including public and private securities offerings of equity and debt securities, syndicated and single-bank loans for lenders and borrowers, project finance and restructurings
- energy: traditional power and renewable energy and clean technology transactional and regulatory matters, including acquisitions of power-producing facilities and natural gas and oil assets, power purchase agreements, transmission interconnectivity, O&M agreements, project finance for developers and lenders, and other infrastructure projects
- real estate: purchase and sale contracts, financing for owners and lenders, real estate investment trusts (REITs), land use (including zoning and representation in front of state and local governments), leasing, air rights, naming rights and other real property rights
- transportation: maritime, aviation and surface transportation regulatory, due diligence and M&A
- data privacy and cybersecurity: planning, review and analysis of critical deficiencies, due diligence, disclosure and crisis management
- intellectual property: patent prosecution, licensing, disputes and due diligence
- litigation and alternative dispute resolution: trial and appellate work in the U.S. and Latin America, including product liability, class action and mass tort cases and arbitration in the U.S., Latin America, and other regions and countries
- lobbying and government relations: federal, state and local advocacy
- trade: export controls, sanctions, imports, anti-corruption laws and anti-boycotts
- executive relocation: immigration and labor and employment issues
- regulatory compliance: government contracts and procurement, healthcare, life sciences and pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, banking, aviation, antitrust and insurance
Committed to Exceptional Client Service
A core value of Holland & Knight is our commitment to delivering the highest quality of legal services and providing responsive and cost-effective counsel to every client. This core value of the firm – coupled with our business acumen and legal experience – enables us to successfully assist our clients, regardless of where they conduct business.
Leading Lawyers on Your Side
Holland & Knight's lawyers regularly receive accolades from esteemed legal periodicals such as Chambers, Best Lawyers in America and Legal 500. In addition, Holland & Knight was placed in an exclusive group of firms that have been recommended by corporate counsel in an unprompted manner, for superior client service for more than 18 years by the 2021 BTI Most Recommended Law Firms report. One of our Korea Practice team leaders, David Cole, was selected as a 2015 BTI Client Service All-Star.
- Representing an issuer of two tranches of bonds for a Korean thin film LCD manufacturer to finance a partnership with a large Korean television manufacturer
- Establishing a Korean automobile company's nationwide distribution and service networks in Mexico
- Advising one of the largest Korean liquor companies on its U.S. distribution network
- Establishing the North American operation of the largest Korean Internet portal and online entertainment company
- Closing an asset acquisition for one of the world's largest shipping companies specializing in transportation of automobiles
- Assisting a Korean bank holding company to acquire a bank in California
- Closing a winery acquisition in Oregon for a Korean food company
- Advising on the acquisition of all of the common stock of a coal-fired power plant in the Philippines by a Korean power company via competitive auction run by Citibank
- Advising on the acquisition of significant minority equity interests in conventional power plants in the United States by a Korean power company
- Advising on the acquisition of a majority equity interest in a coal-fired power plant with a long-term PPA in Chile by a Korean power company
- Representing a Korean power company in a competitive bidding to develop a 1,000-megawatts build-own-operate IPP project in the Caribbean
- Representing a Korean power company on a wide range of corporate and tax matters in connection with the operation of its U.S. subsidiary that owns six renewable power plants in the U.S.
- Prosecuting a patent infringement lawsuit for a Korean mobile device manufacturer against a U.S. communication device manufacturer in California
- Defending a Korean LCD manufacturer in a lawsuit for an alleged patent infringement of plasma screen technology in the Eastern District Court of Texas
- Representing a Korean semi-conductor manufacturer in connection with patent prosecutions with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Advising a Korean private equity fund on the acquisition of an office building in Washington, D.C.
- Representing a Korean government agency in connection with real estate regulatory issues in Washington, D.C.
- Settling quickly and cost effectively on behalf of a large Korean multinational enterprise in an international commercial arbitration brought in the International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Representing a Korean government-owned energy enterprise in litigation related to intellectual property
- Advising various Korean clients, including a national trade organization, electronics companies and a marine plant manufacturer on the U.S. sanctions against Iran
- Representing a major Korean shipping company in a U.S. Chapter 15 case and release of the company's funds retained in the U.S.
- Representing a Korean energy company in a dispute with an equipment supplier for its wind-power generating facility in Michigan